How large of a BK do you need for 5 gallon BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the 10 gallon Boilermaker but worried the grain bag would take up too much space. I am also concerned the 15 gallon would be too large and the wort level may drop below the thermometer late in the boil.

Most people use a 10-12 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. I use a 44 qt (11 gallon) Bayou Classic pot for BIAB and the largest starting volumes I ever start with are around 7.2 gallons, so there is always plenty of space.

Good luck!

I have a 15 gallon Boilermaker, and yes the wort can fall below the thermometer on a 5 Gallon batch, but if it is boiling who cares. I use a secondary thermometer when cooling. A 10 gallon is going to be tight for bigger beers with a full volume BIAB, and with the 15 you can squezze in a small 10 gallon batch if you want. If I was going to do it again I would still go with the 15. You can custom order one with the thermometer whole a little lower on the kettle if you really want it.

I started with a Bayou Classic 9g and it was great for extract, I used it for my first BIAB and it was a success but I still want to go to 15g for bigger beers and batches. At first I regretted not going to 11g first but now I want to go bigger, your kettle is an investment that should last. My 9g handled 12.5 lbs no problem.

I recommend the Can I Mash it tool from here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

Most people use a 10-12 gallon pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. I use a 44 qt (11 gallon) Bayou Classic pot for BIAB and the largest starting volumes I ever start with are around 7.2 gallons, so there is always plenty of space.

Good luck!

I use the same for my BIAB. The last two beers (10% Barleywine & RIS) have made me wish I had a 15g pot. Overall though, I'm quite happy with my 11G bayou classic. A 15g pot might leave too much headroom during the mash making it difficult to maintain a steady mash temp without adding some fire. Right now, that's not a problem I have to deal with.

10 gallons is a good size IMO...even w/ a 20 lb grainbill you can strike w/ oveer 8 gallons and collect over 6 w/ a full infusion. For huge beers you might consider a dunk sparge as well...then you have plenty of pot.

10 is the perfect size for normal gravities, and for huge beers a dunk sparge will help w/ efficiency.

I use a 13.5 gal keggle and line a turkey straining basket with my bag. I made feet for the basket out of 1.5" ss bolts, it keeps the top of the basket just above the wort level with 12lbs of grain and 9 gal of water.

wilserbrewer said:
10 gallons is a good size IMO...even w/ a 20 lb grainbill you can strike w/ oveer 8 gallons and collect over 6 w/ a full infusion. For huge beers you might consider a dunk sparge as well...then you have plenty of pot.

10 is the perfect size for normal gravities, and for huge beers a dunk sparge will help w/ efficiency.

Thanks., can you elaborate a little more on a dunk sparge?

wilserbrewer said:

Thanks, can you elaborate a bit more on the dunk sparge?

Yes, it is a second rinsing of the grain in a second pot / bucket whatever you have....pull the bag out ot the kettle and put it in another pot or bucket...stir grain well to rinse and remove bag....combine both worts and boil..

Latest posts

Back