Pastrami?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardtack

Reaction score
Wife bought a corn beef Brisket for corn beef and cabbage on St. Patty`s day
So I googled smoked corn beef and wow it`s Pastrami!
All I can think of now is Homemade Reubens!

the local Acme (yes, it's a real store) had a ton of corned beef Brisket. I asked them where the normal brisket's where, they gave me a blank stare... I'm thinking of either doing a pulled port, or doing a flat for st. patty's day. Have a bunch of friends coming up for it. Figure I can load up the chimney fri night, fill it again sat morning, then fill it right before we head out on our bar crawl. By the time we get home, shoudl have some damn tasty food.

I have a plan to make a pastrami Reuben from scratch. That is, make my own cheese, pastrami, bread, sauerkraut, and dressing, and then put the sandwich together from all homemade ingredients and throw a reuben party with homebrew. The sauerkraut is sort of the sticking point right now, in that I made some before and it smelled to high heaven, and there's no way my wife is going to let me get away with that again.

I have a plan to make a pastrami Reuben from scratch. That is, make my own cheese, pastrami, bread, sauerkraut, and dressing, and then put the sandwich together from all homemade ingredients and throw a reuben party with homebrew. The sauerkraut is sort of the sticking point right now, in that I made some before and it smelled to high heaven, and there's no way my wife is going to let me get away with that again.

Try substituting coleslaw for sauerkraut it`s pretty good.

I just found some corned beef on sale cheap and bought 5 to make pastramis. If you've never made it before, remember to soak a day or two and change the water a few times, or it will be way too salty.

If you have access to a butcher with a shop where he has sides on the hook,
you can have him bone out a short-plate, brine it and season it, roll it and tie it, then smoke it slowly.

It is my understanding that a boneless short-plate makes very, very good pastrami.
(Think about how good short-ribs are!)

Hardtack - did you take that avatar pic? It cracks me up!

No Sir i did not.......but I`ve seen my Rotty in that exact same pose and kept
thinking "Man I`m gonna catch hell if he gets his big head stuck in there" lol

Back