I just won a Home Brew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I made an Imperial IPA (Pliny the Elder clone) and took 1st place out of 60 beers. My hat goes off to Farmhouse Brewing for the awesome Pliny hop pack they sell. It scored 46, 41 and 43. It was a great beer and sampled side by side with the real Pliny it was spot on. Next spring I get to make a 10 barrel commercial batch at the brewery to tap at next years contest. I can't wait to get in the brewery and use some big boy toys. I also had an American Barley Wine that scored really well.....45, 40 and 41. Two beers in the top 6......I'm very excited and a little buzzed right now. My endless hours of reading these forums has certainly paid off. :rockin:

Thanks fellas....I also think that it is a sweet prize. I will probably be scrubbing kettles all day but that still sounds like fun.

Very cool! I agree with KCBrewer. Having a commercial brewery produce 10 barrels of my own would be pretty kick ass...

I made an Imperial IPA (Pliny the Elder clone) and took 1st place out of 60 beers. My hat goes off to Farmhouse Brewing for the awesome Pliny hop pack they sell. It scored 46, 41 and 43. It was a great beer and sampled side by side with the real Pliny it was spot on. Next spring I get to make a 10 barrel commercial batch at the brewery to tap at next years contest. I can't wait to get in the brewery and use some big boy toys. I also had an American Barley Wine that scored really well.....45, 40 and 41. Two beers in the top 6......I'm very excited and a little buzzed right now. My endless hours of reading these forums has certainly paid off. :rockin:

Congrats! Good to hear a fellow Ohio brewer doing well!

:mug: GRATS! :mug: The only thing I have ever won was a buzz...but really that is all I have ever tried to win... :D

The contest that we won was the Barley's Home Brew Competition in Columbus Ohio. This is the recipe we followed:

Yields 5 Gallons
Mashed 60 minutes at 152 F. Single infusion.
12.0 lb Two-Row pale malt
0.5 lb Crystal 45 malt
0.5 lb Carapils malt
1 lb Dextrose (corn) sugar

Hop Packs Supplied from Farmhouse Brewing :D
3.50 oz Columbus 13.9% AA 90 min
0.75 oz Columbus 13.9% AA 60 min
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.3% AA 30 min
1.00 oz Centennial 8.0% AA 0 min
2.50 oz Simcoe 12.3% AA 0 min
1.00 oz Columbus 13.9% AA Dry hop 2 weeks
1.00 oz Centennial 9.1% AA Dry hop 2 weeks
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.3% AA Dry hop 2 weeks
0.25 oz Columbus 13.9% AA Dry hop 1 week
0.25 oz Centennial 9.1% AA Dry hop 1 week
0.25 oz Simcoe 12.3% AA Dry hop 1 week
When I dry hopped I added the first round of hops (1oz each Columbus, Cent and Simcoe), waited a week the added the second round of hops (.25oz each Columbus, Cent and Simcoe)in the secondary. I didn't remove the first hops I just added the second and waited another week.
Primed with corn sugar, bottled and waited another two to three weeks.

Nice! Any thought as to what you might want to brew at the commercial brewery? Also, do they foot the bill for the grains/hops?

We will make the beer that won the contest.....and yes they foot the bill for everything. They better....it will be sold at their bar until it's gone.

wouldnt that be a kick in the sack. you won come brew 10bbl finish and then here btw the grain bill comes to$$$$$$$$$ how will you be paying. grats on the win

Back