Second Run Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Just got the most recent WineMaker mag in the mail today. Really interesting article about second run wines. Seeing that we're still in the middle of a recession, I guess they're trying to find ways to save us money. Anyways, it's a really good article and I thought I'd share a few key points. It is that time of year you know... :ban:

Basically, you will be making this "second run" after pressing your grapes as you normally would. Stop pressing once you taste a bit of an increase in the tannins towards the end. Based on how much juice you got in your first run, you'll add the following ingredients using a 2:1 ratio:

1 gallon H20
2 lbs table sugar
2 tsp yeast energizer
2 tsp tartaric acid

Example: If you have ten gallons from your first pressing, you'll add 5 gallons of H2O, 10 lbs sugar, etc.

The cool thing about this is that you will be able to drink this batch while the other batch is still conditioning in the bottles. Might as well get 1 1/2 batches for the price of 1. Just thought I'd share this with you all...

Back