Monkey on the Mainline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monkey on the Mainline Porter in the pot. :ban:

So I'm from NC (intending to move back next June), and my uncle taught me to brew at his house in Durham. Monkey on the Mainline was one of the first beers we made, and was easily the best. Give that puppy a couple of months to get smooth, and it'll be perfect. Do they still call for molasses in this one? That was a nice touch.

So I'm from NC (intending to move back next June), and my uncle taught me to brew at his house in Durham. Monkey on the Mainline was one of the first beers we made, and was easily the best. Give that puppy a couple of months to get smooth, and it'll be perfect. Do they still call for molasses in this one? That was a nice touch.

Yes molasses!

RDWHAHB...the Monkey's got the locomotive under control!

The MONKey let the locomotive get out of control once. Had a boil over because I let myself get distracted. OG 1.060 which I attribute to the loss from the boil over. Oh well, stuff happens. Still a tasty brew right out of the pot. This one will taste excellent even if it doesn't achieve the high alcohol content it is intended to reach.

is there truly a gluten free beer?

Actually yes but certainly not this Porter. They even have GF yeast now if you want to get real particular. There are sorghum and buckwheat and others that can be malted along with a variety of sugars that can be brewed to make a GF beer. Anheuser makes Redbridge commercially and I've tried about 3 other commercial beers. My first GF was very drinkable (a bit strong but good) but subsequent trial and errors have produced mostly errors so I have a good bit on the shelf. The more I learn about brewing the more difficult it becomes. When I started I didn't know squat and cooked some really good brew. Ignorance is Bliss. A lot of people say that everyone brews one less than desirable sooner or later so I take that as encouragement.

Back