Keg carbing pasturization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyr2973

Reaction score
If I'm going to use freshly pressed cider from an orchard and I'm going to keg carb the cider, do I need to worry with pasteurization after back sweetening? I was wanting a fairly sweet, lightly carbonated hard cider.

depends on what yeast you use. If you use an ale or wheat yeast, cold crash the cider before the natural apple sugar ferments out and skip the backsweetening and pasteurization. Completely eliminating the yeast on the crash takes a little practice, but if you keep the keg cold, it doesnt matter.

D47 is a wine yeast which makes a good dry cider, but doesnt crash easily. If you want it sweet, you would be better off with an ale yeast like Nottingham or S04, which goes dormant when cold.

Is it possible to get it down to the FG I want and Tyne add sorbate and Campden then cold crash while in a keg? Would that stop fermentation so it doesn't dry all the way out?

How much psi should I use when carbing the cider. Using a 5 gal cornet keg. Thanksp

Depends on personal preference. I'm goin for a mid-heavy carb, so I'll probably set mine to about 23 psi. Some like ciders lightly carbed, some like them more heavily carbed. I like dry cider lightly carbed to still, while sweet ones I like heavily carbed.

Back