*sigh* Medical Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
I'll come out and say it...I'm a type one diabetic. :( :(

I've been one for 3 years now (i'm 24), and i hate it.

I love beer... any suggestions on how to make a diabetic friendly beer?

(low carb, low sugar...maybe convert all the sugar to alcohol? <i dont actually know the complete process yet> :-> )

Hey JJ

Don't have an answer for you, however I'm in the same boat type 2 for 13 years, on the pump. I cann't drink a lot of beer, so I make sure the beer I drink is the very, very best. That's one of the things that led me to drinking craft beer.

Hope someone on this site has some suggestions.

FinchLake

The Homebrewer form Haile!:mug:

finchlake said:
What's going on man? ;)

finchlake said:
Don't have an answer for you, however I'm in the same boat type 2 for 13 years, on the pump.
What spured this question is that i just came back from my endo. It was my final appt before i order my pump. I'm so excited it's unreal.

finchlake said:
I cann't drink a lot of beer, so I make sure the beer I drink is the very, very best. That's one of the things that led me to drinking craft beer.
I think subconciously i'm doing the same thing. Right now i dont drink "too much" but i know i need to cut down.
(it also depends on the night/day i'm having)

I'm pre-diabetic and battle this as well. Maltose (the sugar in beer) is just about the worst thing you can consume as a diabetic it has a glycemic index of 105. There are a couple of things you can do though:
1) Drink lighter beers
2) Drink high quality beers so you won't drink as many
3) Combine your beer with some protein to slow down the absorption
of the maltose and thus the insulin spike or requirement associated
with it.

Reseach suggests that moderate alcohol consumption (1 - 2 drinks a day) actually increases your sensitivity to insulin and lowers your lipid levels. I'm not sure of what the benefits to type 1's are though. The higher B-vitamin content of homebrew will also help metabolize the sugars. My attitude is this: life is a balance - you should be able to enjoy a few beers (or even a fat laden ribeye) every now and then. Just don't over-do it. If you plan your calorie and carb intake, just factor it in.
A life without beer is just not worth living :mug:

Glibbidy said:
switch to wine.

i actaully came from wine. I fell in love with Segiesho Zinfendal and to this day drink it on special events.

What it boiled down to was the cost. Beer is simply cheaper. Wine doesnt keep well, and hell you can have one bottle of beer and be done, wine...that's like upwards 10 glasses per bottle.

First, talk with your doctor about this. They know alot more about your condition than anyone here on the boards and can advise you better. All information given here is for informational purposes only. It should not take the place of professional medical advice. You have been warned.

Having said that, there are two important things to consider. First, beer has carbs, which must be taken into account if you are doing any sort of special diet. You are already thinking of this as you mentioned low carb beer. I'd pick styles that are lower in carbs, but you could probably drink higher carb beers as long as you factored it into your diet.

Second, and more importantly, alcohol can lower your blood sugar. This is important because hypoglycemia, unlike hyperglycemia, could kill you. Therefore, if you are consuming alcohol you must be aware of the signs of hypoglycemia. Again, talk to your doctor. I would think lower alcohol beers would be better, both for the above reason and because alcohol is empty calories (which you don't need).

The key for you is going to be moderation. Talk to your doctor and just be aware of your beer and yourself. :mug:

I'm a dabetic as well and I think Finch summed it up the best

finchlake said:
I make sure the beer I drink is the very, very best.

Drink good beer and ya wont feel the need to drink a lot of it as much

Pumbaa said:
Drink good beer and ya wont feel the need to drink a lot of it as much

Not sure I follow you I find myself drinking much more of my beer than I ever did because... well... its better.

Pumbaa said:
1 good beer makes me feel much better then 5 **** ones

Well that is true. And beer you make is the best.

One important point, although we talk about residual sugars in our homebrew, they are actually fairly complex polymers. If you stick with darker beers, use methods and ingredients that attenuate less and keep the ABV down, that would probably be your best approach.

Moderation, count your carbs and account for it with your insulin. Just don't let your glucose go nuts beer is great, but it isn't worth your legs, eyes or kidneys
(I have seen bad things, I'm a nurse)

I’ve had several different doctors over the years. Some said “ absolutely no alcohol”, got rid of them.

Others said, “ drink moderately, no more than two beers a day.” I did ask, if I don’t drink through the week could I have 12 on Saturday. Doc said: It don’t work like that”.

So at the end of the day, when I’m ready to relax, I like a good, full flavored brew. One that I can take a little while to enjoy, and maybe have a second. I think the key to being a diabetic is moderation. We do have to be aware of our limitations, but on the other hand we only get to go around once, so lets enjoy life while it’s here.

“Relax,

Don’t worry,

Have a homebrew.”

Finchlake:mug:

finchlake said:
We do have to be aware of our limitations, but on the other hand we only get to go around once, so lets enjoy life while it’s here.

nuff said.

Back