How to Order a Beer in Fifty Languages, and say it in 70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! Unfortunately, I have only had the need for "Ein bier, bitte" but hopefully that will improve. Hell, I wouldn't mind needing that one again.;)

Then again if Florida keeps going like it is I might need "Uno cervesa, por favor."

In Kölsch: Köbes, noch e Kölsch, bitte! (literally: Jacob, another Kölsch, please! Where the Köbes/Jacob is the generic term for a beertender in a Kölsch pub)

Although you don't usually have to say that, since they just keep refilling your Stange until you ask them to stop or cover the Stange with your coaster.

I've been practicing this one:

Koo-roh ohs gwel-ookh-un-thah!

But was told most of the bartenders dont even speak welsh and wouldnt know what I was saying. I'm also having a hard time trying to figure out how they called beer "Cwrw". My only guess is the beer is really strong...:drunk:

You missed one:

nob jIH HIq! majQa'!

Since the culture has no concept of "please", nor is there a word for ale/beer, I subbed 'wine' (HIq) and instead asked, "Give me [beverage]! Well done!" (I also assumed that no one would be so stupid as to deny a user a beer, and added the closest equivalent to "thank you".)

Yes, it's Klingon. :D

tlhIngan maH!

KlingonLogo.gif

It's already wrong :( Never in my entire 48 years in this country have I ever used the word "brewski". Scares me to think what those other translations would have me saying.

American Brewski here, please!

The author would have you say "Edj pohar shurt kayrek!" in Hungary.

That's how to order a little girly sized beer (8oz or so). You'd get some funny stares with that one.

"Edj korsho shurt kerek" will get you a proper beer.

And while we're at it - "Teshek levit kusni" will tell a woman to take off her clothing.

I've been practicing this one:

Koo-roh ohs gwel-ookh-un-thah!

But was told most of the bartenders dont even speak welsh and wouldnt know what I was saying. I'm also having a hard time trying to figure out how they called beer "Cwrw". My only guess is the beer is really strong...:drunk:

Going to Wales? I've lived there. It's OK, you can speak English... they do. But learning the pronunciation of Welsh words will come in handy. I lived in Llangadwaladr. The two L's at the beginning are pronounced Hlpllllllllll!:cross:

You missed one:

nob jIH HIq! majQa'!

Since the culture has no concept of "please", nor is there a word for ale/beer, I subbed 'wine' (HIq) and instead asked, "Give me [beverage]! Well done!" (I also assumed that no one would be so stupid as to deny a user a beer, and added the closest equivalent to "thank you".)

Yes, it's Klingon.

tlhIngan maH!
Romulan Ale recipe please!:D

Ha! That ain't ale, bub; that's rocket fuel. Seriously, there are Romulan Ale recipes all over the internet. Most all involve high-proof white spirit - overproof rum or Everclear - and Blue Curacao for color.

Want a barley-based version? Put some blue food coloring in a bottle of OE800. :D

Romulans, however, are these:

kitties2.jpg

You want Blood Wine!

2 gallons cheap Burgundy
1 bottle cheap brandy
Mix. Serve. Sing!

klingon.jpg

yIja'Qo'
Bagh Da tuH mogh

ChojaH Duh rHo
yIjah, Qey' 'o
H