packaging 55lbs of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer, but I would do 1lb and 3lb bags. You'll need to work in an area with low humidity because DME is very hygroscopic.

mblanks2 said:
Definitely get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer, but I would do 1lb and 3lb bags. You'll need to work in an area with low humidity because DME is very hygroscopic.

Ya what he said

55 pounds of dme sounds like a sticky nightmare.

I don't see why you can't use the same food grade buckets with gamma lids that some guys use for grain. They should keep all the moisture out but you would have to be careful if you open them frequently. I store my dme for starters in tupperware and it works well.

I used zip lock bags recently. Gallon sized.

I wonder if the sugary dust would clog up the vacuum mechanism on a foodsaver.

I used zip lock bags recently. Gallon sized.

I wonder if the sugary dust would clog up the vacuum mechanism on a foodsaver.

No, I use one to save and store left over DME and have had no problems.

No don't suck the air out. It will destroy the pump. U want to flatten it as much as possible then use the heat strip to seal.

No don't suck the air out. It will destroy the pump. U want to flatten it as much as possible then use the heat strip to seal.

This. ziplocs and use a heat clamp or curling iron to seal. tupperware works well too. keeping it in the deep freeze (no auto defrost) doesnt hurt either.

Did you get a REALLY good deal on it? I'm just trying to figure out why you would buy that much DME in one shot, unless you plan to use it all in the next year or so. DME does loose its freshness just not as fast as LME. You certainly don't have to justify yourself to me, I'm just curious.

Between I and friends it should be gone within 6 months. Just don't have the time or space for AG right now. It was $160 for 55lbs. So $2.91 per lb didn't think that was too bad of a deal. I went ahead and used freezer bags 5lb and 1lb packages. Thanks for all the replies!

Oh and I'm going to get a sealed bucket and put a peet gun safe dryer in it to keep moisture to a min.

Between I and friends it should be gone within 6 months. Just don't have the time or space for AG right now. It was $160 for 55lbs. So $2.91 per lb didn't think that was too bad of a deal. I went ahead and used freezer bags 5lb and 1lb packages. Thanks for all the replies!

:ban: Great buy IMHO.

I just keep it in the original thick paper bag, sealed inside a pretty much airtight pet food container down in the basement. I go in there once every couple weeks on brew day for 5-7 pounds, pulled out using a 1-quart pyrex cup, and close it back up quickly. 2-3 months and 8-10 batches later, I'm done w/the bag and order another one from LabelPeelers. Never had any problems with clumping in the bag at all -- the last five pounds out is as good as the first five.

Yeah, on a recent bulk buy , 50 lb of DME was about $92. The LHBS charges $4/lb. At that price I could do extract for a year. But I opted for all-grain.

Hygroscopic, a tendency to absorb moisture.

I keep 25lbs in a 5gal bucket with a little headroom, you should be able to fit that in 2 buckets with good lids. Just pull it out as you need it, it works for me!

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I was just thinking of getting DME in bulk earlier this week. Where did you buy it? I feel silly, but I can't seem to find it online.

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I was just thinking of getting DME in bulk earlier this week. Where did you buy it? I feel silly, but I can't seem to find it online.

I just bought 50# of Breiss myself for $140 locally, and plan to vacuum seal in 1, 2, and 5 lb bags.

I didn't buy from here, but LabelPeelers has Light, Amber, Dark, Pilsen or Wheat Malt. 50# of Breiss for $145.93 or 55# of Muntons for $172.62. Not sure what shipping would be for you, but they do have a 15% off coupon (CRAZY) which may help negate your shipping.

Back