Dallas / Fort Worth Grain Buy #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,
I don't mind helping out with the weigh outs and splits, but i don't have a scale or anything. I do have a pick-up truck that I would be willing to help transport in the downtown/uptown area if that helps out any.

I'd be in for a couple of sacks of base, plus some splits of speciality.

I live in Addison and would be more than happy to help wherever possible.

Ok I have a scale and a truck and am willing to drive wherever to the freight drop off location. I can manage the list if needed. What was used for the freight location last buy?

Round 3 was delivered to a participants shop in Grand Prairie. One thing to note, I think CMG will charge more if you don't have a loading dock or pallet jack. When I placed the last order the lady asked if we had both, and we did.

I asked at work and they gave me the ok. It's in Addison and they have a dock a jack and forklift. The thing is they won't allow everyone to pickup there. I might be able to drop it off somewhere nearby or be picked up once received.
It's a option.

Awesome then. I think everyone will understand, I know it would be tough for your place of business to deal with grain zombies. Probably would think something illicit was going down…

So then we just need someone to be able to move the grain to for meeting location. This person would need to be pretty available probably for a week or two after pickup, someone that is ok having potentially 15-20 people come by.

One pallet of grain weighs about 2 tons. We can probably organize a couple people to help pick up the freight, in the past the movers have donated their time and gas.

Once this is decided the last step before we start the new thread would be the need of an organizer. Anyone interested please email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the run down of what we did before. There are also previous organizers on here posting that can answer questions and provide past experience.

The organizer will hold the master list or spreadsheet (see other buys, some buys are quite organized). This is the breakdown of the role-

1. Everyone will shout out their sack amounts (no specifics yet) on the thread and give their personal contact info, name etc to the organizer. Once we reach 42 sacks, the buy could be closed, unless there is significant interest for a second pallet. Another pallet could reduce our individual freight cost, but would also move to a 4 ton transport…

2. After the buy "closes" the organizer requests exact sack requests communication directly.

3. I will then receive the exact list of exact sack-age and I will request the invoice from CMG. This will allow us to know ahead of time our exact total. (we are talking about $1550 or so for a pallet total)

4. Organizer then sends each brewers total out with instructions on total and info for paypal. We can either paypal to my account, which I have linked to CMG or the organizer can accept all the totals, later provide me a check or cash for the total. (I won't be ordering grain until I have the total though… we have never had issues, but we aren't talking something you can just return to Wal-Mart here….)

5. Once everybody's totals are received fund wise, the order is placed and takes about a week to arrive. Details of pickup is worked out the week once ordered.

Not too bad, but if we really do splits that ups the work of the organizer. In the past the organizers have done it through their own good will, but this time I thought we might add a dollar per sack to help reward the organizer a little bit :)

Still waiting for verification from the organizer and freight location holder regarding the details.

Jdaught said:
Ill take 3 sacks

Jdaught I saw you posted on the new thread already, everyone please post on the new thread! This thread is closed.

Back