mash thermometer that doesnt go haywire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog2up

Reaction score
every probe thermometer with a wire from instrument to the probe has gone haywire when the wire gets hot from the mash or water above 100F.

does anyone know of a probe themometer with wire attaching it to the bas unit that doesnt malfunction from high heat or water?

i saw this one but dont know if it will work or not:

Thomas Traceable Waterproof Thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/WATERPROOF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Product Features

Continuously monitors liquids, air/gas or semi-solids
Use in freezers, water baths, outdoor tanks, incubators and refrigerators
Waterproof and shockproof soft PVC case; both sensor and cable are submersible
Thermometer can switch between °C and °F
Comes with Traceable Certificate to NIST standards, silver oxide battery and sensor on 10 ft cable

Last edited by a moderator:
I've come to the realization that you need to spend some money if you want a functioning digital thermometer. It sucks, but the cheap ones just don't cut it.

inhousebrew said:
I've come to the realization that you need to spend some money if you want a functioning digital thermometer. It sucks, but the cheap ones just don't cut it.

I pulled the trigger on the Thompson listed in my post...they say its waterproof and temp proof cable, and will not malfunction.$38 on amazon

Bobby_M said:
It's not that the wire gets hot but rather moisture getting into the probe at the wire/probe joint.

Hmmm..the one unit that just broke has been replaced by the vendor. Think I will put some waterproofing compound on the join where wire meets the probe and see if that does the trick...good idea.

I have heard and read that some people take the shrinkable electrical wiring product and use it to insulate and protect the cabled wire. They simply slide it over the whole wire from unit to probe and use a hair dryer to shrink it tight and it is supposed to seal it up and water proof it!

I use this with some type K probes (sealed, good for the entire range of temps, and 4" long probes on 80" stainless wrapped lines)... :D

Not only is the display good size, you can use the back light on it too, so even in low light it's all good. NOT cheap mind you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back