Finally !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manco171

Reaction score
After much anticipation and after lots of frustration I got beer from the keg carbonated and pouring perfect. I bought the keg set-up years ago and never really got it dialed in. For some reason I only had a 3-foot hose with picnic tap on it. Well, after doing some reading on here I decided a much longer hose couldn't possibly be worse than what I was already experiencing. Got 13 feet of 1/4" on there now and perfect!
I got curious and tried to figure out why I went with a 3-foot hose to begin with(a little over 5 years ago) Looked on website where I ordered and that is what they sell with one of their keg kits. Is there an application where 3-foot of hose will work fine? Certainly didn't work fine for me. Beer would come out way too fast, too much foam, and beer lost carb and tasted way too sweet.
I put the longer hose on, beer came out just right, not too much foam, and too sweet taste went away! Excellent!

They even sell a picnic tap that you can hook up directly to the keg. What did I miss? How could that possibly work right?

With 1/4", yeah, you'll need a long line. 3' might be ok with low carb levels, and if it's 3/16".

I find 6-8' of 3/16" line works for my range of pressures and temp.

Glad it's working.

Edit: 3/16" not 3/8". 8ths on the brain I guess.

day_trippr said:
^ Almost certainly means 3/16" ID...

Cheers!

Haha. Uh, yeah. Could you imagine the fire hose that oops would create.... I'll fix it.

Back