Going all grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarsmoker75

Reaction score
So I got my mash tun ready to go. And I need help looking for an easy recipe for my first brew any suggestions???

2012-08-21 17.50.01.jpg

What's your favorite beer that you've brewed most often? My next batch will be my first all-grain (same MT as in your picture) , and I plan to brew a beer I've done before, so I can compare the differences. It will also be one with a fairly simple grain bill.

Kolsch is a simple brew & small grain bill with tasty results. This never lasts long at my place.

9 lbs Bohemian Pils
1 lb White wheat
2 oz honey malt
1 oz Hallertau 60 min
1/2 oz Saaz 10 min
1/2 oz Saaz 1 min

Wyeast 2565
Ferment at 60 F and lager 1 month.

Go Big or go home.

Brew a wheat with 90% wheat. Decoction.

J/k. Just pick something with 3 or 4 grains, and not a wheat or rye beer.

Stuck sparges suck. At least learn the mechanics and working of the mash tun before you risk that. Not too common, and not the biggest demise, but only a slight hurdle.

Hey, how did you get the cooler out of my garage!? Just kidding, I made one like that myself a couple weeks ago for my foray into AG brewing and it is a heck of a lot easier than I thought. This was the recipe I used for the first attempt:

Honey Saison - All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal

Ingredients
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) - Add honey at flame out

0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711)

Boil one half gallon of water and dump into cooler, cover and let sit for 10 or 15 minutes to preheat
Heat 3.5 gal water to 172 degrees then pour into cooler
Add grain and remove all doughballs, check temp adjust to 152 degrees and mash grains for 60 minutes.
Heat 4.7 gallons of water to 180 degrees
Vorlauf, drain first runnings into kettle
Add heated water to grains and stir the bejesus out of it, cover and let sit 10 minutes
Vorlauf, drain into kettle, boil as normal

(Note on the strike temp, I had the grains in my keezer for a while since work became hectic and I couldn't brew, so my grain temp was 38 degrees and needed some added heat to get them to 152.)

I got a measured efficiency of 80% on this with my OG of 1.055 and I am estimating a 6.8% to 7% ABV. How does it taste? No idea, it is week two of fermenting :D

Keep it super simple:
10lbs Maris Otter
1lb 60L Crystal
3.5 oz East Kent Goldings @ 90min 1.25oz, 20min 1.25oz, 5min 1oz (I boiled for 90min to try and get a little more caramelization and color)

A nice English Pale Ale @ 1.060 and 41 IBU:mug:

Back