Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how, but the very top of mine broke. Was getting ready to wash it, and seen it busted, All the readings are still visible. I rolled up some paper towel, stuffed it in the broken end, then taped it up. This should still work fine, shouldn't it?

No broken hydrometer, but the $#@% measurement tube broke. Somehow it became stuck on the drying rack and shattered when I tried to pull it loose. Rage rage rage rage rage... the $#%@#^ drying rack is lucky my kids were around or it'd have met an unpleasant end.

Not sure how, but the very top of mine broke. Was getting ready to wash it, and seen it busted, All the readings are still visible. I rolled up some paper towel, stuffed it in the broken end, then taped it up. This should still work fine, shouldn't it?
The weight of the paper is probably different than the weight of the missing glass, so your readings won't be accurate.

Sadly, after 2 years of service, my first hydrometer is broken. My 21 month old son was down in the basement and accidents happen. He was not hurt, so lesson learned by dad.

Deric said:
This thread is making me paranoid..... I've had the same one for 17 years.

Better pick up a spare........

Damn don't know how you've pulled that off! Nice.

+1 for the 501st

Dropped mine on the floor after putting it in the case, (bottom fell out of the case sending my hydrometer to the floor.) Stupid me.

+1 I guess I'm #506, I broke my first one while brewing my very first batch of beer (the beer turned out ok though!)

Had the same one for almost 5 years. Broke it and another this past year. Ordered 2 to replace.

An aside that's sure to jinx me, but what the heck...

I've never broken a hydrometer. I have broken four sampling tubes - including two acrylic ones - which shatter just like glass.

Carry on...

Cheers! ;)

527, smashed on the edge of kitchen sink during post clean up and sanitation of very first batched brewed

528 - slipped out of my hand and onto the concrete floor, right as I was thinking "I need to be careful with this - first time with a mill and I really want to know the efficiency."

Whoops.

530 - my OG was way lower than my BG . . . took me a minute to realize that the glass had cracked just ever so slightly and had let a little liquid inside.

532...took og set on the counter and rolled off. Down to the LHBS tomorrow. Never broke one until reading this thread...lol...

Do floating thermometers count? I broke mine because I am stupid, I had it in the wort while I was using my immersion chiller and I was stirring to distribute the heat to the IC... craaaack. In the wort. Not cool.

Also, I had a hydrometer testing cylinder that I managed to break... a while ago, I had left some beer in it, and SWMBO thought it'd be a good idea to pour it out, leaving a sticky residue that clouded up the bottom of the cylinder. I never bothered with it but today I got fed up seeing it so I poured acetone into the plastic cylinder. Every part the acetone touched basically cracked and lost all integrity, so I could crush it with barely a tap. Also, when I poured out the acetone it left a weird white residue all inside of the cylinder, which I am guessing was the degraded plastic.

Back