Help me save my (not I) PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the IPA recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" a few weeks ago, got it kegged and carbonated, and tried a glass the other day. I was... underwhelmed. There's not really very much hoppiness to it - it's more of a Pale Ale. I'm supposed to be serving it at a party we're having in a couple of weeks. I see that my LHBS (BMW) has whole leaf Citra hops in stock, so I started to think about dry-hopping it.

- Is it OK to dry-hop already-carbonated beer (I know I'll need to relieve the pressure on the keg before I open it)
- Is Citra OK to dry-hop with?
- Is two weeks enough time to add hoppiness to my beer?
- How much should I drop in? (I plan on using the hop-bag / dental floss method)

Thanks in advance for the help / suggestions.

Dry hopping won't add bitterness. Only boiling the hops will do that. Dry hopping will add to the aroma and MAY make it SEEM hoppier.

Citras are great for dry hopping! My guess is you could de-gas the beer in the keg over a few days, dry hop for a week (too much longer and you'll get vegetive flavors), then recarb and serve. I've never dry hopped after carbing in the keg, so I can't say how it'll work if you leave the beer carbed.

I usually carbonate in the keg while dry hopping, so you should not have any problems. I have found @ 40*, I can dryhop for 10-14 days with no off flavors.

I was just thinking about our hop tea thread in regards to this. If you have a French press,try making a hop tea in it,press,& pour it in. That might give more flavor.

Back