Effects of knowledge on beer drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Splurged on a few good imports (local stuff in Korea is awful) yesterday for the first time since I started homebrewing and although I don't have much practical experience yet, just knowing the stuff I know kept on distracting me from the beer. :(

For example while drinking Leffe I kept on thinking that there were more ester flavor than I like when a few weeks ago I didn't know was esters were. Then got some Hoegaarten and I couldn't stop thinking about how I could've never recognized the coriander taste before when it is so distinct. Then onto some Coopers Stout and when SWMBO said she like the coffee flavor I started blathering about how there was probably some patent malt until I got some angry looks...

Anyone else had this problem?

I do! Luckily most of my friends don't mind and a few are even interested. I do think they might be starting to be afraid to give their opinions on beer when I'm around. That I really don't want.

Whenever the word "beer" comes out of my mouth these days, my fiance rolls her eyes, and says, "beer,beer,beer..." dismissively.

She'll drink what I make, she just doesn't want to hear about it, or the hops in whatever I happen to be drinking, or anything else beyond, "here, you'll like this one".

Good thing the guys I brew with are just as geeky about beer too!

I don't really consider it a problem, well I guess in one way...but imo ignorance is not bliss. :D

If I get anything that is in any way oxidized or skunked...back it goes for a refund and I'll tell them why. Putting pressure on the supplier is the best way to whip those doggies into shape :) As far as the characteristics go (the ones that are supposed to be in the product) it pushes you into higher tiers of the producers that you seek out.

chthonik said:
Whenever the word "beer" comes out of my mouth these days, my fiance rolls her eyes, and says, "beer,beer,beer..." dismissively.

...she just doesn't want to hear about it...

Sounds like my house if you change fiance to SWMBO

joebou4860 said:
Sounds like my house if you change fiance to SWMBO

Does she drink your HB though? I just don't get the disconnect. If they want to drink it, they should have to learn all about it too! ;)

Actually, I find a lot of my co-workers perk their ears up when I start talking beer.

Many of them have tried it and always compliment me. I know it's not an act of kindness because they always ask when I plan on bringing more into work. :D Usually when we have large get togethers there's a crowd at my car in the parking lot and several people holding glasses (it's illegal to bring onto the arsenal).

homebrewer_99 said:
Usually when we have large getogethers there's a crowd at my car in the parking lot and several people holding glasses (it's illegal to bring onto the arsenal).

I have dubbed one co-worker the "beer police". This lady who is basically a busybody was eavesdropping on my co-worker's and my conversation. She somehow concluded that we always just talk about beer and how drunk we were! Now considering that neither of us gets "drunk" (we are both older professionals with kids, etc) on that hand I have no clue what the heck she is talking about, and secondly we have a broad range of topics including brew. So she took it upon herself to look up the policy at work and sure enough you can't have stuff on the premises, so that really put the kaibosh on some good trading we were all doing....friggin lame man. :(

zoebisch01 said:
So she took it upon herself to look up the policy at work and sure enough you can't have stuff on the premises, so that really put the kaibosh on some good trading we were all doing....friggin lame man. :(

Very sad when people have nothing better to do with their time. Tell her you object to the extreme rudeness of busybody eavesdropping :)

I get the rolling eyes alot, some people are interested, some pretend to be interested.

I find knowledge allows me to appreciate what was merely once a teenage alcohol delivery system.

Back