Need Brewpub Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
I am located in Atlanta and have an opportunity to possibly make a space next door a brewpub. It is only 3000 sq. ft., but has potential. By the way, yes I know this is similar to a post I had done earlier https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/smallest-brewpub-202767/ , but with this post I am looking for someone local. I am looking for someone who has experience either setting up or working at a brewpub to take a look and see if this is a feasible venture. This is not a consulting job, just looking for some friendly advice from knowledgable industry people. I am not familiar with industrial set-ups and my brewing expertise lies with homebrewing only. However, if this can be done properly, I wouldn't mind entertaining this opportunity. Meeting on a sunday would be best since I would like to keep this confidential to certain individuals. I will buy lunch and a beer too! Thanks. And yes, this is also posted in another forum on this board.

So, you want some local industry guy, who is your potential future competition, to consult for you for free?

How many stories is the building? Either way 3000 sq ft seems like more than enough space if you are just serving beer. You need to consider how big of a system you want (1,5,7 BBL) and how you plan on serving your beer (serving tanks, kegs). Was this space previously occupied by a restaurant of any sort (IE walk-in cooler, gas connections for kitchen equipment, floor drains, etc) You also need to decide if you want to serve food and if you have the space to accommodate the equipment for that as well. Where is the building located and how much traffic goes by the location daily? What is the surrounding neighborhood like? Is there other businesses or residences? Are there other breweries or brewpubs in the area? If so, what are their strengths and weaknesses? Why will customers patronize your establishment rather than your competition? What is your competitive advantage?

These are just some of the questions that I have off the top of my head in no particular order. I'm not a brewing professional but have worked in the restaurant industry for pretty much my entire life. Like the above poster said, it may be hard to get free consultation, especially from your soon to be competition.

If you are already a chef with extensive GM experience, then start off with what you know... a bar with craft beer. That solves 50% of the issues, gets you up and running with a license and some revenue. Then go from there, use craigslist or other methods over time to attract some qualified candidates that can build a brew-pub out of the pub.

I'm from Kennesaw originally, Marietta definitely needs a brewpub, but craft beer or budweiser, it's still about location, location, location. There are people who would drive from Woodstock to Smyrna for craft beer, but not enough to keep you in business. What's your location?

Fletch,

I agree tha Marietta needs a brewpub, I live there and there is not much around to go with unless I head to Minks on Delk. That's why I homebrew so I can have something to be proud of. I thought of going with a craft beer bar that serves food, something along the lines of holeman and finch combined with brickstore pub with a little eclipse di luna in there, but I am just trying to see other possibilites for this space that can fit a specific need rather than throw out a dirty bomb brew pub like gordon biersch or the like. If you know of a location in marietta that would be great for an idea like this, I am all ears. It's a thought that will need alot of work and research. I am looking to venture out and actually make some great craft beers and pair some outstanding small bites to go with them.

The Cobb crowd is diverse. I would recommend something along the lines of Nik's Back Porch.. a dirty dive bar with live blues and good hamburgers and a few pool tables, and bartenders that can get you cocaine. Throw craft beer into that equation. The problem with most brew-pubs is that they are too fancy.

Not sure where Nik's Back Porch is, but not really interested in a dive bar type establishment. I am not looking to do fancy either. Have you ever been to Diesel, I believe it towards the end of 120 going to alpharetta. I like the look of it. Have you been to the places that I mentions in the above post?

Zero.

And if you want Cobb County baby boomer money, you need to know that most of them search out and crave the dive bars... they even pay cover charges.

Not sure where Nik's Back Porch is, but not really interested in a dive bar type establishment. I am not looking to do fancy either. Have you ever been to Diesel, I believe it towards the end of 120 going to alpharetta. I like the look of it. Have you been to the places that I mentions in the above post?

Diesel has a good beer selection, but way to small IMO (also its in downtown roswell, off of alpharetta hwy). Im going to be interested to see how long it last. Theres quite a good beer bars down 120 but more in marietta.

IMO, if I would open a brew pub in the area it would be over by KSU.

Back