Conical Fermenter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy63

Reaction score
Just got a new Mini-brew conical fermenter. Had to brew a batch and test it out! Just a few questions though:

1. Fermenter is an 8 gallon plastic. I brewed a 5 gallon extract with grains. LOTS of room at the top. Is this bad?

2. Do not have the rubber gasket thing; Has been about 18 hours and no bubbles in the airlock on top. Can see about an inch wide foam/crud strip around the top above the liquid level of fermenter. Does this mean that fermentation has indeed begun?? Could gas be escaping from around lid because no rubber gasket thing?? Too much room left in fermenter??

3. Temp of liquid in the fermenter reads between 76 and 78 degrees. Too warm??

4. SHOULD I BEGIN TO WORRY???? OR FORGET ABOUT IT AND HAVE A RED ALE I BOTTLED ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO????

These may be stupid questions, but I would greatly appreciate input. Also, Should I worry about draining trub out bottom valve before I drain the rest into bottling bucket?

Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim. Let me try to help you with answers to your questions:

1. Plenty of room = Not a bad thing.

2. NO gasket = a BAD thing. Yes, those are signs that fermentation has begun. Gas is definitely escaping, but not through the airlock. Leave the airlock in place and wrap the lid to the primary with saran wrap to seal from the outside and leave it alone for a couple more days or until you believe it's ready.

3. Temp is important. See the recommended temp for what you are brewing. I'd say you are too warm already even for an ale (@72F). You could always use the wet wick trick if you purchase a large plasitic container/tub to put the fermenter in with some ice and water to lower the temp.

4. No need to worry, just need to get some good advice. Oh, and share the red ale!

There are no stupid questions (rediculous ones, yes), only stupid answers.

With the conical fermenter always drain your trub before transferring. Be sure to do it slowly so you don't waste much beer.

Thanks HB. I never thought about the saran wrap deal. Very clever!!! Will get the gasket soon though. Will try to get it a little more cool. Have noticed that the ring is getting bigger. This forum and the info is simply invaluable. Thanks again.

Tim

timmy63 said:
Thanks HB. I never thought about the saran wrap deal. Very clever!!! Will get the gasket soon though. Will try to get it a little more cool. Have noticed that the ring is getting bigger. This forum and the info is simply invaluable. Thanks again.

Tim

you might want to try duct-taping the saran wrap down too - it tends to lift off with a little gas pressure.....

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! Thought I'd let you know; the saran wrap did the trick! I wrapped it up pretty good and then put a BIG rubber band (my wife uses them for something when she does ceramics!) around it. It started bubbling through the airlock almost immediately!! Then I put it under an air conditioner vent. I feel much better! Now I just hope it turns out to taste right. It is the Honey Spruce recipe in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. My wife actually tasted a little of it as it was being poured in; she said it was good.

Thanks Dr. I actually thought of the duct tape too but I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I seem to have misplaced my roll!!! Man I hope this batch turns out!

Tim

Back