Question For Igloo Ice Cube Users...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalarchio

Reaction score
Picked up a 60 qt. Marine Ice Cube (with wheels) to upgrade my MLT by 50%.

Anyone who has one of these knows that the wheels pose an interesting arrangement in the bottom, especially seeing as the stock spigot is above the wheel well and is about 3 inches above the floor of the cooler.

I'm trying to determine the best location to put my valve and if it's to use the stock location or drill through the front of the cooler.

Currently I use a stainless braid and it's been flawless for me. I fly sparge and have concern about relying on a siphon to get the wort up to the wheel well as I could see myself losing siphon and leaving a lot in the bottom.

What have you done?

I use a 60qt Igloo cooler for both my EHLT and mash tun. I wouldn't trade it for the world (unless I could come up with a larger one). I use John Guest fittings in the stock location and have a stainless braid hose inside. There is almost NO dead space. The only problem is that when I go to dump the grains in the dumpster, you cant roll it on the wheels as the valve or fittings will drag. The cooler holds temps very well.

Im using 3/8 inch fittings as of now but am soon placing an order for 1/2 inch.

http://www.johnguest.com/linkpages/SPFinstADV.html

Hope this helps

Nuts

I have Igloo square coolers with wheels. I made manifold out of copper and just drilled hole in the front for ball valve. I have only used it once but got 73% efficiency out of it.

IMG_0572_small.jpg

Back