What should I do with a bag of mystery hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkbrew

Reaction score
So the story is my dad is a federal grain inspector. Being that this is the season for hop harvests he has been grading a lot of hops lately.

He just sent me a big bag of mystery hops. He said the bag weighs about 1000 g and that they are from Idaho. Unfortunately the bag they are in is not sealed well at all and I don't have anything much better. That means long term storage is out of the question. Also they may have degraded a lot during transit.

I was thinking about brewing a single hop pale. My only worry is coming out with something that has a high bitterness without a good malt character to back it up.

So what do you think I should do with them?

Yeah, I'd just make an IPA and keep consistently adding the hops to the boil at start, middle, and end. Then dry-hop the brew. Win either way.

I'm not sure about the smell. They have a lot of aroma for sure but I think there is something a little funky in there too. Of course that could be coming from my kitchen...

In the end I'll probably do the IPA idea.

Hard to go wrong with the IPA idea. If you shoot for 1.070, even maxing out the IBUs, it will still be good.

free is free mate. just make one big beer and don't worry about the off until it's fermented. had the same with some palisade hops and everything seems to be fine with it all.

If you do five gallon batches use one oz at the beginning of the boil, one oz at Thirty minutes and one oz at fifty minutes. If you do ten gallon batches double it. You can't go wrong. Even with a low Alfa Acid hop like cascade it will still be good.

Back