IPA with 1lb of late hops - Anyone done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
I want to make an IPA with a pound of hops. I just think it would be awesome to use a whole pound of hops in a 5.5 gallon batch. I only want it to be about 70 IBU so I would add them all at the end. Here is what I was thinking for the recipe. I am sure some will say that this is a complete waste of hops. However, I was thinking about using a pound of Williamette which i found on sale for ten or eleven bucks.

Here is the recipe I was thinking of going with:

10lbs pale 2-row malt (3.0)
1lb Munich malt (9.0)
.5lb Carapils (2.0)
.5 Caramunich (56.0)

Est O.G. = 1.059

1 oz WM @ 30
2 oz WM @ 15
3 oz WM @ 10
6 oz WM @ 5
2 oz WM @ 2
1 oz WM dry hopped 14 days
1 oz WM dry hopped 14 days

73.2 IBUs

Anyone done this or something similar. How'd it turn out? Similar to anything?

Haven't done anything like this for 6 years. One thing I've noticed, massive amounts of one hop make very little difference over large amounts of one hop. Multiple hops are far more effective in producing big hop beers.

I've certainly used 1# of hops in a 5g batch, but never all at the end. I had a beer from another member that used a lot of Willamette and I found it to be pretty lacking overall in hop bitterness. I wouldn't recommend Willamette as a bittering hop, but that's just my personal tastes.

I admire your ability to dump 1# of hops into a single batch of beer though. :rockin:

I cant imagine a pound of Willamette hops in any beer. Its pretty spicy tasting.

Do it to it! Here in TN people make a beer called "The Hop God" which makes this 1 lb IPA sound like a Scottish 60 :)

My advice is to strain the hop sludge, and press the juice out. I would love to try a beer with that much Willy hops actually, think of how much you would learn from this experience :)

I will brew this ........ it will be named "The Big Willy IPA"

I'll let you know how it turns out lol

I brew with Yeast Infection regularly...I like what Budzu says, so do a slightly larger boil and put the hops in a hop bag. At the end, press the bag to empty all the juice into the wort.

David's advice sounds solid...but I'm really curious as to how the 1# Willy would do. So if the Willy doesn't taste right, mix in some cascade and/or centennial next time.

I did a leftover hops IPA where I re-used the dry hops from 10 gallons of IIPA in an IPA. I had 5 oz of Simcoe, 2 oz of Centennial and 2 oz of Crystal hops, I started adding them with 20 minutes left in the boil tossing a handfull in every 2 minutes until they were gone and then shut off the flame. It was *very* floral and citrusy with a bit of resiny background, the bitterness should have been about 80 IBUs but it was very very smooth. I'll definitely try it again but I will leave out the crystal, the simcoe and centennial alone would have been much better.

Sounds like it has potential to be awesome ......... for 11 bucks worth of hops this sounds like a must-try experiment.

It isn't too expensive to try this if you buy all your hops in bulk like I do. And they will only get cheaper as time goes on.

Judging by the way my late hop IPA floated at the picnic last weekend I think everyone loved it. (I also had it on a hop randall)

that will be a very spicy aroma and flavor in that beer. i have made 2 ipas with 1 pound of hops and even a little bit more and they come out great but they have been different never the same.

Back