Henrico VA water profile anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielinva

Reaction score
Are there any Henrico or Richmond area brewers out there who know anything about the water chemistry for the area?

Have you tried calling the water authority? I did that here, and spoke to a dude in the lab, and he faxed over the report later that day.

I emailed them a few weeks ago but never got a response. I think I'll go ahead and give them a call on Tuesday and see whats up. Thanks.

I sent you a private message with the profile in Chesterfield County just south of you....

Keith

Thanks for the report Keith. And no, I never got a report from Henrico Water Authority. I called but they ended up just emailing me the basic one from their website and that one is mostly concerned with contaminants.

However, here is the results of a Richmond water report (I think actually from a Henrico household) given at a James River Brewers meeting:
Ca2+: 22ppm
Mg2+: 4.4ppm
K+: 2.1ppm
NH4+: 0.85ppm
Na+: 20ppm
Li+: <0.05ppm
pH: 7.8
TOC: 1.4ppm
SiO2: 6.8ppm
CO2: 2.6ppm
TDS: 190ppm
SO42-: 60ppm
Cl-: 19ppm
NO2-: <0.05ppm
Br-: 0.27ppm
Fl-: 0.81ppm
PO43-: 1.4ppm
Turbidity: 0.5
Total Alkalinity as CaCO3: 88ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3: 96ppm

Well it took a little work but here is the response I got today from Henrico

Mr. XXXX

In response to your inquiry, many of the parameters listed below are not analyzed daily at the Water Treatment Plant but are part of the annual analyses required by the Virginia Department of Health. Most of the results listed below are from our July Annual sample. The only parameters from this list that are done daily are the pH, alkalinity, and total hardness.

Calcium (Ca) in ppm 48 mg/L (Calcium Hardness)
Magnesium (Mg) in ppm 68 mg/L (Total Hardness)
Sodium (Na) in ppm 23.2 ppm
Sulfate (SO4) in ppm 40.6 mg/L
Chloride (Cl) in ppm 12.4 mg/L
biCarbonate (HCO3) in ppm 52.1 mg/L
average pH 7.7 mg/L
Alkalinity 52.1 mg/L (Plant average 58 mg/L analyzed at the WTF lab)
TDS 140 mg/L
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. I have also attached Henrico County&#8217;s Annual Water Quality Report. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nyibe

Nyibe Cousins-Flythe
Water Quality Engineer
Henrico County Public Utilities Dept
10401 Woodman Rd.
Glen Allen, VA 23060
phone: 804-727-8719

Nice! I may not need to send off to Wards lab after all. This must have been a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease because I emailed her at least 3 times and got basically nothing.

I'm surprised at the amount of magnesium. Seems really high.

Its simple, just offer them two homebrews... one made with good clean water, the other, well your not sure what in the heck is in there but let them choose. ;)

Back