B3-1100 Digintal SMART DIY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normis

Reaction score
All,

Posted this over at B3 as well. I'm looking to create a B3-1100 at home. I have 90% of the equipment already, so I don't need to order a brand new system. Only problem is the SMART system, which I have no idea how to replicate. Does anyone have a parts list/instructions for re-creating the pilot/burner/control panel setup? I called Morebeer and asked them if they would sell me the parts, or give me a parts list, and they said they couldn't.

Thanks,

Norm

Welcome!

BrewTroller sounds like it may do what you want. Take a look at the link in my sig.

Yeah, I think that would work for the electronic control aspect, but it's more the pilot/burner system that I'm worried about. I'm pretty sure that if I try to put it together myself, they'll be picking pieces of me out of the trees around my house for weeks.

but it's more the pilot/burner system that I'm worried about.

What system do you prefer, standing or intermittent pilot?
Cost limitations?

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I'd prefer an intermittent pilot. Not really sure what the parts cost, but $350 or less would be great.

I'd prefer an intermittent pilot. Not really sure what the parts cost, but $350 or less would be great.

This will work. The Y8610U conversion kit from Honeywell is an intermittent pilot gas control that has all the parts (S8610U, VR8340M and Igniter Sensor) needed to control the temperature and can be had from Patriot Supply in Plainview, New York for $179 + Shipping (check out their EBay store). The SLY 4352 PID controller is available from Auber Instruments for $59.95 + Shipping. You will need a low pressure 11 WC propane regulator. I recommend the 2 stage version from Lowes that can be had for $44. You will also need a $10 120 VAC to 24 VAC transformer. This is under your $300 budget. I just went through this myself.

Gas Control.jpg

Thanks for the detailed plans. I am currently designing my own system, and I was wondering what Volt-Amps you calculated for your transformer. Based on the manual for the HS8610U it seems that the controller uses 3 amps, so the VA requirement would be 72 VA for each unit (24 Volts x 3 Amps). Does this seem correct?? Based on this logic, if I were to use 2 Honeywell kits, I would need a 150 VA transformer. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed plans. I am currently designing my own system, and I was wondering what Volt-Amps you calculated for your transformer. Based on the manual for the HS8610U it seems that the controller uses 3 amps, so the VA requirement would be 72 VA for each unit (24 Volts x 3 Amps). Does this seem correct?? Based on this logic, if I were to use 2 Honeywell kits, I would need a 150 VA transformer. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

I have done a Google Search on a HS8610U and come up with nothing. I am using a Y8610U and it's current draw is 0.7 amps for the valve and controller.

From the Y8610U manual:

Electrical Ratings:
Voltage and Frequency: 20.5 to 28.5 Vac (24 Vac
nominal), 60 Hz.
Current Rating: 0.7A (includes both module and
gas control).
Thermostat Anticipator Setting: 0.7A plus current ratings of
other devices in the thermostat control circuit.

I am currently designing my own system, and I was wondering what Volt-Amps you calculated for your transformer. Based on the manual for the HS8610U it seems that the controller uses 3 amps, so the VA requirement would be 72 VA for each unit (24 Volts x 3 Amps). Does this seem correct??
Thanks!

I have both Honeywell type modules, the S8600 and S8610U.
The 3 amps applies to the S8610 max current output the relay drivers can handle.
PV=1 A
MV=2 A
The module only requires 200mA to operate.
To get the total required VA you need to check the gas valve current draw and add to the module VA requirements.
The S8600 module max supply current is.
PV=1 A
MV=1 A

I run my modules with $5.00 transformers from Jameco Electronics.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back