36 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now im not trying to quite drinking. its the smoking im trying to kick. i have to stay away from the things that make me want to light up for a while if im going to kick this habit. so far so good ive only had one craving at around quitting time yesterday.

Congrats, penguin.

I'm going to be going on the Chantix soon to quit smoking. I don't want to be 51 and dead like my dad.

I want to be 51 and drunk ;)

I think 51 and drunk is an admirable aspiration for all of us. Cheers, Madman. Best of luck, Penguin.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm shooting for 212 and drunk.

Aim high, go for distance.

I just quit smoking and BY FAR the hardest was when I was drinking. This didnt mean I stopped drinking, just meant that I ate tons of food when I was.

The 1st 72 hrs are easy compared to the next week or so. I quit smoking after 23 yrs & it was tough to do, but I did it with grapefruit, strawberry candies (with the jelly center) and sunflower seeds. Good luck. Regards, GF.

really i always heard that the first 3 days should be the hardest as it takes roughly that long for the nicotine to be out of your system. Its the mental addiction that tends to linger on........lol ive been reading the natl cancer society website

I did it with grapefruit, strawberry candies (with the jelly center) and sunflower seeds.

I'll second this, citrus (especially sour) candies helped me through the first two weeks - smoke free now for 1 year (after smoking for 10 years).

Congrats on quitting! Oh man you are going to enjoy beer flavors so much more in a month!

Yeah, the first three days are the hardest. I used the patch, and it worked like a champ for me. I did have to quit drinking alcohol and coffee for a few weeks though, which was rough (the coffee, not the alcohol). The thing that helped the most for me was a good workout. After some lifting and a long run, I couldn't even think about a smoke. Good luck!

I quit smokeless tobacco the day after Christmas. To me the hardest times are when SWMBO,kids or someone pisses me off. Still think about it often as everyone around me still partakes.

Praying for ya BROTHER!

As it happens, today is my one year anniversary stopping chew. Smoked or chewed from age 15 (43 now) and I couldn't be happier. Still have a craving every now and then, but it's much easier to deal with.

Good on you starting a new chapter in your life. Keep a running tab of how much your saving, seems to help keep motivation up. Remeber that water is your friend. Drink lots of it.

I just quit smoking and BY FAR the hardest was when I was drinking. This didnt mean I stopped drinking, just meant that I ate tons of food when I was.

Aint that the truth!

I have been smoke free for 78 days (not counting the one two drags I took off a cig in January)

Chantix is pretty good but it really only works if you truely want to quit. In November I started taking it but wasnt really ready to quit. I was on it for like 3 weeks before I got married but was still sneaking smokes in. On the last day of my honey moon I got the Jamaican Revenge (food poisoning) and since then I have had zero desire to smoke. Also, i have not taken any chantix since then. I think the food poisoning combined with the fact I was smoking nasty Jamaican Marlboros combined with the Chantix running through my system that day like shocked me out of cigarettes. I did have a smoke in January from a co-worker but it tasted DISGUSTING.

I firmly believe the best time to quit is when you get really sick. Every time I have gotten really sick I have always had zero desire to smoke.

One of the best parts about not smoking is the fact that I dont have to worry about stopping at the stupid store before work to buy smokes. I am putting all my cigarette money into my AR15 fund.

I've tried to quit but I can't figure out what to do when I'm driving or after eating. Especially while drinking coffee first thing in the morning. I am a contractor and I drive for hours sometimes. I always smoke when I drive. I could sit at home for hours and hours and just forget I even smoke. As soon as I get in the van I have to light one up. I can't chew gum cause I feel like a frikin cow.

I quit once for a month and a half just pounding bottled water. After about a liter an hour that stuff really left my throat feeling like I just had a smoke.

I've tried to quit but I can't figure out what to do when I'm driving or after eating. Especially while drinking coffee first thing in the morning. I am a contractor and I drive for hours sometimes. I always smoke when I drive. I could sit at home for hours and hours and just forget I even smoke. As soon as I get in the van I have to light one up. I can't chew gum cause I feel like a frikin cow.

I quit once for a month and a half just pounding bottled water. After about a liter an hour that stuff really left my throat feeling like I just had a smoke.

When I first stopped and had a craving I would tell myself I had to wait for 30 minutes and than I could have one. I usually forgot all about it and remembered hours later.

Praying for ya BROTHER!

As it happens, today is my one year anniversary stopping chew. Smoked or chewed from age 15 (43 now) and I couldn't be happier. Still have a craving every now and then, but it's much easier to deal with.

Good on you starting a new chapter in your life. Keep a running tab of how much your saving, seems to help keep motivation up. Remeber that water is your friend. Drink lots of it.

Congrats on the one year. I also started at 15 and am now 40 so I know where your coming from.

I quit smoking on 6/15/2007. I used a combination of the patch and the gum. The patch gave me the steady stream of nciotine to keep me level. When I would get a big urge, I would pop a piece of the 1mg gum to stave that off.

You guys are right. The first three days are the toughest for the physical symptoms. The psychological addiction is almost tougher. You have to retrain your brain on how you interact with the world. In the past, you had a lot of triggers for smoking. Be it eating, coffee, alcohol, sex, talking on the phone, waking up, going to bed, etc. A lot of things were paired with a cigarette. When you quit, you feel off because you feel something is missing. It is. But only for a while. You need to breakdown those memories.

For alot of us, the hand-to-mouth motion of smoking is something we miss. I recommend gum, flavored toothpicks (they come in cinnamon and bacon (mmmmm bacon)), or lollipops (if you can, go with sugar free ones to cut down on weight gain).

Quitting smoking is process. One of the hardest processes you can go through. Don't be a hero. Don't go it alone. Cold turkey is ridiculous. Use a nicotine replacement such as the patch or gum. Get support from everyone. Family, friends, coworkers. Tell them to keep whipping your butt on this if you look to be losing your quit. Go to Quit Smoking All Together- the Web's Largest Quit Smoking Community.

Do whatever is necessary. Send me a message on here if you want to talk more about it.

-John

Back