Cinammon in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwturnernc

Reaction score
Ok, I'm brewing a oat mill stout which I have brewed prior and am quiet happy with it. It has 6 lbs of amber dme, 3.3 lme 12 oz of black patent, 6 oz of cara 2, 2 lb of flaked oats and 1 lb of flaked wheat and one pound of Carmel 120. 3 oz of fuggles as a 60 minute addition. This recipe is a great base stout and I want to add some chocolate and cinnamon to the brew. 4 oz bakers chocolate at 5 minutes and 3 oz of choc nibs in secondary for 7 days. My question is when to add cinnamon and how much?

As mentioned you should be good with 3tsp, but you may want to use 4tsp with that recipe of you really want it to hit.

Drop it in at 10 or even 5 min.

I dropped two cinnimon sticks into a noble pils once with 5 minutes left...simply fantastic. Even as it hit the 4 month range it was still perfectly balanced with the beer

Thanks for the input. I brewed this last night and I opted to use cinnamon powder for the recipe. I put in 4 tsp. with 10 minutes left in the boil. The wort tasted pretty awesome. If I don't get the punch of cinnamon and chocolate I want I'll add some chocolate nibs in secondary and two cinnamon sticks.

I soaked cinnamon sticks in wild turkey for 3 days before adding both to a rye brown is secondary. Came out far better then I expected.

I made a cinnamon red ale which'll be ready in less than a week. I only used about 2 or 3 teaspoons (about a teaspoon and a half in with the flavor hops and a teaspoon in with dry hops) and i'll let you know how that turns out when it's ready

You can always add cinnamon to taste at bottling time instead of in the secondary. That way your not overpowering the chocolate or not adding enough to taste how you want. This is what I did with my pumpkin ale and getting the right amount of spice, worked perfectly.

So I tasted my beer. Not too much cinnamon flavor, but I think a later addition would fix this

Back