White Pyment Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceparadis

Reaction score
I need help choosing which grape and yeast to use for a white Pyment. I will be using 6kg of Clover honey.

The product in the end should scream Fruit and floral but a solid honey Flavor.

I'm thinking a box of Müller-Thurgau and 6kg of Clover Honey with 2-3 packs of D47 dependsin on the OG.

Any Suggestions ????

D47 is an excellent choice. Just make sure you keep temps below 68*F all the time. I have read around too that if you let the must sit on the D47 lees fir a long while that helps bring out the fruity flavor.

K1V-1116 over D47 any day.

The grape/honey type is your choice, but equally, you can just ferment dry and then stabilise with sulphites and sorbate, then back sweeten with a 50/50 mix of honey and grape juice, which should give you what you're looking for.....

Why 1116 over D47?
If you're slightly less than perfect when sanitising, the K1V has the "killer factor" whereby it will become the dominant yeast, which is a good point.

It has a much wider temperature range, and while the Lalvin yeast chart quotes up to 28C for max ferment temp (for D47), that's with grape musts. It's been found that with meads/honey musts, it really needs to be kept below 21C/70F, otherwise it can be prone to producing fusels, which take a very long time, if ever to mellow out, so if temperature is likely to be an issue in your area, then unless you have something to control the ferment temp, it's worth avoiding.

K1V is the Montpellier strain, which has been found to make some excellent traditonals. It has the "esters" trait, so can produce some wonderful aromatics, whereas D47 is EVC and "enhancing varietal character" would be great if it worked for honey, as well as grapes......

It's generally a more robust yeast to use.

Back