Thermometer suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I need to brew my next ag batch this evening and my floating thermometer broke. Anyone have suggestions for where to get a thermometer? I’m hoping for some place like a Wal Mart or something. I have a meat thermometer that I have only ever used in brew. Problem is it doesn’t read below 120 so it’s hard to tell when to pitch yeast. Thanks for any suggestions.

Lowe's by me is carrying the Taylor instant read digital thermometers . package said it was water resistant looks like this one

taylor.jpg

Just checked and the local Lowes here has them as well. maybe Ill give it a try. Appreciate it.

I've been through a number of thermometers and the best one so far is called Thermapen.
It's expensive ($100), but very accurate and reads instantly.

I have a thermopen and Cole palmer k probe . The OP needs a decent thermo to brew tonight and the Taylors have been used by many here

+1 for Thermapen. The old version is on sale for about $70 last time I looked.

I've had lots of problems with inexpensive digitals. They are inaccurate and/or they break. I have not tried the Taylor pictured above, but I stopped trying after three or so and bought a quality piece of equipment.

After numerous dial, digital and probe thermometers I finally bought a lab thermometer from my lhbs for ~$6. I can honestly say I will never use any thing else

Appreciate all the input! I ended up picking up one from Lowes that was suggested above. Im hoping sometime soon to get a nice digital but that one worked great for me last night. Got my Stout done in time to watch the Phils beat those Yanks.. Again, I appreciate all the input. Cheers

I have used the taylor... don't get them wet or drop them. I liked it until I got it wet... then forget it... I would rather spend the money on a good scientific thermometer or the waterproof thermapen.

Man, I got so tired of thermometers. They were either inaccurate, slow, fragile or all of the above. I finally said screw it and bought a used Fluke 52 II. It was pricey (even used) but it is freaking awesome. Fast, super accurate, and built solid as a rock.

I am a big fan of this thermometer, it has a long lead so i can get it down in to carboys or hang it in my boil pot.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=120845.

The heat resistant lead is also great for oven roasting and all other cooking needs.

I use this one as well. I am pretty ham handed with stuff and this thing has lasted a while now. It is accurate and it is heat and water resistant. I test the accuracy every time and it has never needed adjustment. I have submerged the lead all the way in water, the mash, boil, etc without any issues with it.

I use this one as well. I am pretty ham handed with stuff and this thing has lasted a while now. It is accurate and it is heat and water resistant. I test the accuracy every time and it has never needed adjustment. I have submerged the lead all the way in water, the mash, boil, etc without any issues with it.

That's one I have plowed through. Still have it downstairs but it will only say "LO"

Back