Damn Digging Dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for tips on stopping my dog from digging,

He dug under the fence into the neighbors yard yesterday while we were out and killed their freakin' daughters rabbit. So I got to explain to a 12 year old little girl why Sir Fluffy is now dog poop.

They have an electric fence that blocks them from this fence that she dug under, but her collar had broke last week and I took for granted them knowing their boundaries after watching them never try and get out of the open gate while mowing twice since the collar broke. I guess rabbit fur enticed her over.

Anyway, needless to say the collar has been replaced and should keep her out now, but I want to rid her of digging just in case plus she digs up anything we try planting in the back yard anyway so it's basically gone to crap.

I have 2 ideas.

1) Lose nails in the areas she digs (inhumane probably?)
2) Anybody want two dogs? (This would be my ideal solution, not SWMBO's)

you could get those dog shoe things.. like a sock.. it will cover the nails and stuff and they will dig for hours and not really get anywhere.

Didn't the Indians rig up some leather straps to hobble their dogs and keep them from digging up the fish they used as fertilizer?

When I set up a fence pen, I buried a length of fencing underneath to keep them from digging. You *could* bury some cheap fence all around the boundary of the yard...

Or cut their toes off...

We have chicken wire fence buried around most of our yard to stop the dogs from digging under the wooden fence. It was put in place by the previous owners. I imagine it would quite a lot of work to do but it does work.

Once the hole is dug throw the dirt back and bury the dog, done.

Just kidding. Tough one since our dog goes insaine when she sees rabbits, but they are wild. But how did the dog get to the rabbit? Rabbits are diggers too at least to the point they will try and get under a fence so that is why most people keep pet rabbits in wire cages.

Our Husky digs holes like crazy also. I put his poop into the holes he digs and then fill them back up. He doesn't dig there again, but eventually digs somewhere else. I've heard the chicken wire works for digging under fences, but the husky just jumps right over our 6' fence.

the last time my dog dug a hole was just before i tackled her in the yard while digging the hole. i had just laid $1600 worth of sod when i saw her digging. after the tackle i show her my dominance by putting my teeth around her neck. funny thing she never dug another hole.

the last time my dog dug a hole was just before i tackled her in the yard while digging the hole. i had just laid $1600 worth of sod when i saw her digging. after the tackle i show her my dominance by putting my teeth around her neck. funny thing she never dug another hole.

Ceasar Milan + Vince McMahon

I have seen fewer holes out by where the dog is tied up after I used the shock collar on him a couple of times. He's just a bored and curious young dog.

Wow, 2 pages. Sorry I am late to respond. My other half at the office is on vacation this week so I have to actually work this week :p

To the energy thing. They are outside dogs and run around ALL day chasing and wrestling with each other. Yard is plenty big enough to run in. The flower bed digging I think is for temperature. She's always laying in the holes she digs.

I think we are going to do the chicken wire, but was looking for a simpler option cause that will be some work.

The weird thing is that their rabbits used to come over in our yard all the time and hang out in the tree and our dogs would both just bark at them. The one who ate the rabbit can climb trees so if she wanted it then she would have gotten it. But it was in their yard when she did it, They watched from their window.hmmm so they say..... I need to look tonight for the hole to see if it was big enough for my dog to get through. But anyway. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like buried chicken wire will do it. Ugh, where's the shovel. hmmm Screw that. I'll just lay it down and stake it. That back fence area is not exactly a show area of the yard. The weeds and random half weed/ half tree looking things will grow through it.
I'm 99% sure it won't be a problem when her collar is back on, but really don't want this happening again. Now if they come in our yard it's another story.

Maybe I should train her to at least bring the animal back into our yard before she kills it.

if it's a temperature thing get a little kiddie pool for them to lay in and cool off.
We've thought about this and really, just need to pick one up. One of those things where we only think about it when we're NOT at a store.

you have rabbits and dogs that climb trees?
Neighbor has rabbits that sit in trees, I have dog that psuedo climbs trees. Very low branch base.

To the poster, what kind of dogs?

Jack the Weimaraner, does no wrong.
Lizzie the Mutt, Oh man. < Rabbit eater, Hole digger.> (Mother was a German Sheppard, Father was apparently a dog)

My current dog was a digger when younger, but would only do so if he got left out to long. My suggestion only let the dog out when supervised, and / or only to go to the bathroom. Left to their own devices dogs get into way to much trouble. We forgot ours out when we left for a day, when we came back he dug completely under the patio slab. So much that he could climb all the way inside and disappear... I **** you not.

We also tried the shock collar route as he is SUPER dog aggressive. We cranked it to 10 and fried em when he refused to come in when called. (running up and down the fence line) Burned off part of his fur and ended up causing a seeping wound in his neck. (and it only made him jerk, still didn't come in) After that I felt horrible and would never use them again.

Good Luck!

I used to have that problem with my dog. I tried burying her own crap in the holes. That didn't work.

I tried the various forms of pepper to keep her from digging. She just ate it.

I tried filling the holes with water and pushing her nose in it. She hated it but still dug holes.

I think the only thing that worked is that when I found a hole, or if I caught her digging, I would push her nose into the hole and smack her nose a couple times. It took a couple months but she doesn't dig anymore. Either that or she just got old enough to not care to dig anymore.

Whatever. Stupid dog.

Love her to death, though.

I had a Mastiff-Rott. Put his enormous poo in the holes.
He stopped his digging, then I had to start picking up his poo.:(

Sound like you need to wear her out and teach her how to use her prey drive. I train PPD so we use prey drive quite a bit in training. If you have the time look into a local SCHh club.
We've thought about this and really, just need to pick one up. One of those things where we only think about it when we're NOT at a store.

Neighbor has rabbits that sit in trees, I have dog that psuedo climbs trees. Very low branch base.

Jack the Weimaraner, does no wrong.
Lizzie the Mutt, Oh man. < Rabbit eater, Hole digger.> (Mother was a German Sheppard, Father was apparently a dog)

I think anyone would be bored being tied to an object......

To the poster, what kind of dogs?

He's only tied out there when he is let out to go potty, because we don't have the electric fence put up yet. When I am able to go out with him and play he goes free. Normally both are let out together and they just play until they drop (usually in a puddle if they can find one.) But if nobody is able to go out and be with them, I can't trust either to not run off exploring, or getting into the road.

He's only tied out there when he is let out to go potty, because we don't have the electric fence put up yet. When I am able to go out with him and play he goes free. Normally both are let out together and they just play until they drop (usually in a puddle if they can find one.) But if nobody is able to go out and be with them, I can't trust either to not run off exploring, or getting into the road.

Just make sure after you put up the fence you still keep an eye on him (especially when small) . A lot of people forget that it keeps him in but other animals can stroll right in and mess with him.

Sound like you need to wear her out and teach her how to use her prey drive. I train PPD so we use prey drive quite a bit in training. If you have the time look into a local SCHh club.

I'm not one to go super trainer. My approach to dogs is they live outside, you feed and water them, and give them room to run. You don't put sweaters and shoes on them, you don't take them to the mall.

I think Work Trained dogs are awesome, but That's not what I have dogs for. They are not my kids, My son is my kid. My dogs are for barking at intruders and playing with.

I'll look into the prey drive think some to find out what it is. We are going to be laying down chicken wire on the ground in front of the fence wrapped up to on the fence.

I like leaving them outside during the day when we're home. I feel bad putting them in there cage. We have a large kennel outside, but she just tries to dig out of it if left in for any amount of time.

You don't really even need to bury it. If you can lay it down and stake it plat, the grass will grow over it, if you have grass.

This is what I thought of last night when dreading the project. It's kind of a mix of pine needs, weeds, and these crazy tree weeds with 1.5" diameter stalks and Huge leaves. no idea what they are. Come to think of it the stalk kind of look like Rhubarb. never seen a whole plant.. oh that would be awesome.. *off to google images*

Just make sure after you put up the fence you still keep an eye on him (especially when small) . A lot of people forget that it keeps him in but other animals can stroll right in and mess with him.

There are other dogs in the neighborhood. Most people have a dog or two. The people to the one side have a pair of nice looking Germans. The people behind me have a grooming business and breed Yorkies. My dogs have stayed there, and often stray there. I don't think they'd hurt them little ones, they've played before. Maybe the odd red squirrel. I know there is an orange cat from somewhere, but I have no idea where. I've only seen it once at night by the garage door.

The electric fence is mostly to keep them in line when we go play. Sometimes if you turn your back for more than a moment they will wander. Plus, the boy needs to get snipped.

For some strange reason, he follows the female and waits for her to pee, then licks that spot and pees on it. Just a bit. When she goes out alone, he gets crazy until we let him out and he runs around like a madman until he finds her spot. Stupid creatures.

There are other dogs in the neighborhood. Most people have a dog or two. The people to the one side have a pair of nice looking Germans. The people behind me have a grooming business and breed Yorkies. My dogs have stayed there, and often stray there. I don't think they'd hurt them little ones, they've played before. Maybe the odd red squirrel. I know there is an orange cat from somewhere, but I have no idea where. I've only seen it once at night by the garage door.

The electric fence is mostly to keep them in line when we go play. Sometimes if you turn your back for more than a moment they will wander. Plus, the boy needs to get snipped.

For some strange reason, he follows the female and waits for her to pee, then licks that spot and pees on it. Just a bit. When she goes out alone, he gets crazy until we let him out and he runs around like a madman until he finds her spot. Stupid creatures.
Sounds a lot like us humans, aside from the pee licking (but then theres those fettish people) lol

My unfixed Male Weim does this!!! The mutt (Rabbit killer) is female. And Jack (Male) will go lick here pee and hike his leg. Doesn't always even pee. He needs fixed. I watch him Make himself a grill cheese sandwich in his cage before while I was brewing!. Pretty gross.

I'm not one to go super trainer. My approach to dogs is they live outside, you feed and water them, and give them room to run. .

And under those conditions some dogs will become bored and engage in destructive behaviors – like digging holes. The German Shepherd dog is notorious. There are too many years of breeding to just turn off.

A tired dog is a good dog. A little training to occupy the mind and exercise to burn off energy will go a long way to solve your digging problem. As was said before, tap into that prey drive and use it to your advantage.

And under those conditions some dogs will become bored and engage in destructive behaviors – like digging holes. The German Shepherd dog is notorious. There are too many years of breeding to just turn off.

A tired dog is a good dog. A little training to occupy the mind and exercise to burn off energy will go a long way to solve your digging problem. As was said before, tap into that prey drive and use it to your advantage.
I guess I was under the impression that if they were outside they would run as much as they needed to. Thanks for the insight. Is there an age when it's too late? She's about 6-7 years old.

bored doggies with spare energy dig....

I play frisbee with my dog twice a day until her tongue is dragging the ground, and she sits on the frisbee as if to say "ENOUGH!"

I'm not one to go super trainer. My approach to dogs is they live outside, you feed and water them, and give them room to run. You don't put sweaters and shoes on them, you don't take them to the mall.

I think Work Trained dogs are awesome, but That's not what I have dogs for. They are not my kids, My son is my kid. My dogs are for barking at intruders and playing with.

I'll look into the prey drive think some to find out what it is. We are going to be laying down chicken wire on the ground in front of the fence wrapped up to on the fence.

I like leaving them outside during the day when we're home. I feel bad putting them in there cage. We have a large kennel outside, but she just tries to dig out of it if left in for any amount of time.

I think you found your answer - put doggy shoes on them and they probably won't dig

I guess I was under the impression that if they were outside they would run as much as they needed to. Thanks for the insight. Is there an age when it's too late? She's about 6-7 years old.

It's never too late! The old saying you cant teach an old dog new tricks is not true. Dogs love structure, pack, and exercise wise. It is great for them to have room to run and play, but they also need structure in walk, jogging, obedience, or work form. It will tire out their bodies and minds.

Thanks for the tips. We watched Ceaser when he first came on and thought it'd be awesome to have dogs like that. But I don't have time to do that much with them. I know, "if you don't have time you shouldn't have the dogs". Please come get them! Just have to fight with SWMBO as you pull them away. I'd rather not have dogs. I'd rather relax in my back yard letting my son crawl around not worrying about poop I missed, a puddle of urine in the dirt, picking up half a dead bird they ate, ect.....Oh and finding something to do with them when you wanna go somewhere. I guess this is turning into a rant about my wife pushing for dogs. /End Rant.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks for the tips. We watched Ceaser when he first came on and thought it'd be awesome to have dogs like that. But I don't have time to do that much with them. I know, "if you don't have time you shouldn't have the dogs". Please come get them! Just have to fight with SWMBO as you pull them away. I'd rather not have dogs. I'd rather relax in my back yard letting my son crawl around not worrying about poop I missed, a puddle of urine in the dirt, picking up half a dead bird they ate, ect.....Oh and finding something to do with them when you wanna go somewhere. I guess this is turning into a rant about my wife pushing for dogs. /End Rant.

Thanks for the help guys.

I think if you decide to ever get another dog you should just research it to find one that better suits your lifestyle. A lot of people try and adopt to "save an animal" but they dont know the history on the dog or what exactly the breed is so it is hard to prepare.

I know im in the minority but I would never dopt a dog, not because im heartless but because I know what I want temperment and working wise and breed for it. If you ever decide to get another dog let me know and I will try and help you however I can after listening to what you are looking for.

I think if you decide to ever get another dog you should just research it to find one that better suits your lifestyle. A lot of people try and adopt to "save an animal" but they dont know the history on the dog or what exactly the breed is so it is hard to prepare.

I know im in the minority but I would never dopt a dog, not because im heartless but because I know what I want temperment and working wise and breed for it. If you ever decide to get another dog let me know and I will try and help you however I can after listening to what you are looking for.

Thanks I appreciate it, but once these are dead, no more dogs for me. I like the freedom of just being able to go too much and want that back. I'm thinking after this my son can have a hamster/lizard/goldfish if he wants a pet.

Thanks I appreciate it, but once these are dead, no more dogs for me. I like the freedom of just being able to go too much and want that back. ...

My dog passed away last summer and I'm with you, no more dogs. I'm enjoying the freedom. No more scooping, no more vet bills, no more arrangements when we want to take off, no more worrying when we've been away from the house for too long.

That said, as time passes I find myself thinking more and more about another.

Back