Moving a Carboy to Another Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
Hi,

I needed to move my carboy to a spare bedroom because my dog was very interested in it. I just found that the temperature is a little higher in there than I would like (on the high end of the temperature range, but not over). I would like to move the carboy to my kitchen where it is a little cooler. Should I worry about disturbing the fermenting beer?
Edit: Today is its second day in the secondary fermenter.

Thanks,
Joe

No, it'll be fine. I often have to move my fermenters. Just be careful if it's a Better Bottle- giving that a little squeeze when you pick it up causes a vacuum that sucks the contents of the airlock into the fermenter!

I'd say if it's got a while left in there, not to worry too much about it: any sediment that's already settled once can settle again. However, if there's a fair amount of head space in there, and it's full of air (as opposed to CO2), move it gently so you don't splash and oxygenate your beer! Shouldn't be a massive problem though.

Just be careful if it's a Better Bottle- giving that a little squeeze when you pick it up causes a vacuum that sucks the contents of the airlock into the fermenter!

It is a better bottle. I'll just leave it. I made a box to put over it so the dog doesn't get at it. That way I can leave the door open so the temperature is more in line with the rest of the house.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Just take the airlock off during the move. If you're worried about that, put some foil over it. Move it gently and it won't stir up much at all.

No problems. Are dogs particularly keen on beer? I'll be living with one next year so I quite want to know if I'll need to take similar measures.

No problems. Are dogs particularly keen on beer? I'll be living with one next year so I quite want to know if I'll need to take similar measures.

haha...my dog could care less about my beer when it's fermenting. He may get a little jealous of the time I spend with it though.

My dog loves beer, could be b/c while in college he would get some during parties from random people. My buddies great dane loves it too he will try to take a bottle of beer from your hand.

Are dogs particularly keen on beer?

This is my first batch. When mine was in the primary, my dog was very interested in the blow off setup. He would go over and take smells and jostle around the tube.

When it went into the secondary, I put a towel over the carboy. He liked to go up to the airlock (covered by the towel) and take some sniffs. He would jostle around the airlock. I was worried that he would knock it out or something.

Dogs have a great sense of smell, and mine is very interested in the smells coming out of my fermenters. I call him the assistant brewmaster. It's very fitting since I named the brewery after him, Black Dog Brewery (home brewery).

hehe Mine is BBD Brewing, with BBD standing for Big Black Dog.

My dog sniffs around the fermenter now and then, but isn't too interested. He does lick the tops of the bottles if I don't have them closed up in a box.

Sounds a laugh! I'd better be careful, I'll be living with a guide dog, don't want her drunk on duty!

Back