racking from primary to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
When transferring from primary to secondary, assuming primary is a plastic fermenter, do most people use the spout at the bottom with a tube attached or do you use a racking cane (auto siphon) to transfer to a secondary fermenter? I've been using the spout and most of the trub rests on the bottom of the primary...but I'm wondering if it's better to siphon to avoid trub from entering the secondary. What does everyone here do?

When transferring from primary to secondary, assuming primary is a plastic fermenter, do most people use the spout at the bottom with a tube attached or do you use a racking cane (auto siphon) to transfer to a secondary fermenter? I've been using the spout and most of the trub rests on the bottom of the primary...but I'm wondering if it's better to siphon to avoid trub from entering the secondary. What does everyone here do?

Most people siphon. I don't often use a bottling bucket with a spigot as a primary, but I have in a pinch when all of my other fermenters were full.

The idea of racking is to remove the beer from the trub, so a siphon is ideal.

I'm actually a fan of the spigot. I don't get any trub carried over to the racking tube (and if any does, it's as simple as stopping the flow before it gets into the secondary.)

Less to clean, less parts, less worry.

Back