Haus Pale Ale too light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
Bottled my first AG last night. It was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Got 48 bottles exactly out of the pail. Anyway, here are two pictures of my bottles...does it look too light? There's been enough folks brew this to give me an idea...ANY input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys...

Deacon

100_1567.jpg

100_1568.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/100_1567.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/100_1568.jpg

That is a truely Beautiful thing!

No worries man. All Grain batches are always a bit lighter than the Extracts that you've been making, as the extract darkens during the boil.

Guess I can't ask for a more experienced opinion than that! Thanks EdWort - you've been really helpful to me, without knowing it. You've taught me a lot.

Actually...I've never made an extract batch. I went to AG first. Probably should have done the steps and whatnot, but I knew I wanted to be AG and so I just did it. Thank you for the complement BigKahuna!

And for the record....this might be the LAST batch I bottle...

Heh. I did the same thing, Deacon. AG from the very first batch, and kegging within a few months of starting. :p

Those look great, good work dude. :)

Mine looks like that coming out of the keg, I keep thinking of sunkist for some odd reason when I see it. :cross:

+1 on kegging. I've only ever bottled 2 batches - with no plans on bottling anymore.

Yeah, kegging really is so much easier...

FWIW, if you do bottle again, it's a good idea to fill each bottle more than you have in that picture - I'd say probably half that much headspace.

If you use a bottling wand when filling the bottles, fill the bottles until they are completely full. The amount of liquid displaced when you remove the wand provides the perfect amount of headspace.

If I make that, I'll have to make sure to use a brown bottle. My daughter'll think that's an orange crush! On second thought... that could be funny. :D

i was wondering on my color. i did a variation of ed's pale this last weekend. ok, i did a totally different beer. but the color in the primary looks about right.

Back