how to get extract into glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
How on god's green earth am I SUPPOSED to (as opposed to the mess I just made) get my extract / wort into my glass carboy?
thanks
po'd
timg
\
\
ps if my wife saw the mess I just made I'd have alot more brew-time on my hands...hehehe

Well, I have two different sized carboys, and two different sized funnels. Cost not much more than $5-7 bucks at your LHBS, or online stores like Norther Brewer, Midwest or Austin Homebrew. When I was doing 2 gal extracts I lift my brewpot and slowly pour in the funnel. Topped off with water the same way. Worked for me.

Hey, I've got a fiero... I'll trade for beer.

I need a much LARGER funnel evidently... how large is yours?:
thanks....
Just got the wort off my hard wood floors... the wife will never know... until by fate shew finds this thread.. after I'm dead if 60 years...
hehehe
timg

I have a real low tech funnel that works great. Take a two liter soda bottle, cut it off just below the shoulder, sanitize, and bingo, you are done. Saves a trip to the dollar store even. It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.

I have a real low tech funnel that works great. Take a two liter soda bottle, cut it off just below the shoulder, sanitize, and bingo, you are done. Saves a trip to the dollar store even. It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
I wish I asked this BEFORE I made this batch....
Geesh I had it righ in front of me the whole time....
MAN -o -MAN

SCORE!!!!!!!

Great idea!

Who's using a funnel to move wort from your brew pot to a carboy?! :confused:

An autosiphon will do the trick. You will be happy you got one, or two...

I need a much LARGER funnel evidently... how large is yours?:

Well, that is kinda personal, but in the interest of helping, I will show you how how big mine is.

phpThumb.php

It is 12 inches and fits perfectly into the carboy neck.

Get it here for $7.25

Well, that is kinda personal, but in the interest of helping, I will show you how how big mine is.

phpThumb.php

It is 12 inches and fits perfectly into the carboy neck.

Get it here for $7.25

+1 for the "expensive" funnel. These come with (or maybe you have to pay an extra buck for) a mesh screen that keeps a lot of your cold break, hops, etc. out of the fermentor, which is kind of nice. Also, they're big, and the long spout keeps the thing anchored in the carboy/bb, making it a lot easier to transfer the beer without an assistant.

Well, I have two different sized carboys, and two different sized funnels. Cost not much more than $5-7 bucks at your LHBS, or online stores like Norther Brewer, Midwest or Austin Homebrew. When I was doing 2 gal extracts I lift my brewpot and slowly pour in the funnel. Topped off with water the same way. Worked for me.

Hey, I've got a fiero... I'll trade for beer.

I have a vette now but I've had 10 fieros ...they rule...:fro::tank::confused:

+1 for the "expensive" funnel. These come with (or maybe you have to pay an extra buck for) a mesh screen that keeps a lot of your cold break, hops, etc. out of the fermentor, which is kind of nice. Also, they're big, and the long spout keeps the thing anchored in the carboy/bb, making it a lot easier to transfer the beer without an assistant.

I picked up a stainless canning funnel from farm/tool supplier for about $7. It's similar to the picture below and it came with a stainless screen that goes between the two halves. Works great and it is very stable on the neck of the carboy; it also gives great aeration to the wort going in the carboy.

ev118v1.jpg

It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.

Also works great with powders (like pouring dextrose into jugs when making Apfelwein).

edit --> and use the bottom part as a single-bottle-soaker to soak labels off.

My wife never holds the funnel right. She lets it make a seal instead of tipping it a little, then some hot wort blurches up and scares her - every time.

My wife never holds the funnel right. She lets it make a seal instead of tipping it a little, then some hot wort blurches up and scares her - every time.

Please tell me you're only pouring hot (less than 100 degree) wort into cold water that's already in your carboy. I've had a carboy bottom fall out on me from thermal shock and it was sitting in 2" of 130 degree water.

Latest posts

Back