Adding priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doos1

Reaction score
Please can someone ease my aching weary overactive mind :)
2nd homebrew, added the priming sugar direct from the packet into the secondary bucket.
Then remembered it had to be mixed with boiling water and cooled so I did this with the remaining 1/3 of priming sugar.

Please tell me it'll be ok!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

It will, most likely, be OK. Just make sure you get it stirred up nice and good. Stir gently though, you don't want to splash and introduce oxygen into it.

If it doesn't mix well there's a chance that some bottles will have more or less sugar and result in bottle bombs or under carbed. Just mix well and give time for the sugar to dissolve.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks buzzno. We stirred gently trying to distribute evenly without splashing and oxygenating. I wonder if it'll cause over- carbonation seeing as the sugar wasn't dissolved into water first.

Doos1 said:
Please can someone ease my aching weary overactive mind :)
2nd homebrew, added the priming sugar direct from the packet into the secondary bucket.
Then remembered it had to be mixed with boiling water and cooled so I did this with the remaining 1/3 of priming sugar.

Please tell me it'll be ok!

The only thing you might worry about is infection from wild yeast - most other bugs can't live in hoppy alcoholic wort. Drink it in the next few months and you won't have a problem :mug:

Back