secondary after 3 or4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
My buddy at work and i were talking today. He transfer his beer into a secondary after 3 or 4 days. mainly he keeps an eye on it and once the initial rush done he transfers to the secondary. He usually has great beer. What does this do to the beer? I usually leave mine in the primary three to four weeks then bottle without the secondary.

Stops the fermentation preemptively. Doesnt let it ferment out or give the yeast tie to clean up. Keep doing what you are doing.

I don't see why this would stop the fermentation? It just takes it off the trub bed so it doesn't continue to impart it's own flavor as it breaks down. There is still mondo yeast in suspension. Unless you drastically raise/lower the temp, it's gonna keep right on cookin.

A lot of people leave their beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

when you are making a big beer, taking it off the yeast cake prematurely can result in 'green' flavors that persist longer. This is because primary fermentation creates some compounds that contribute to off flavors but which can be metabolized into good old ethanol and co2 by the yeast if you give 'em a chance. In lower-alcohol beers you may not notice. This sort of issue is also decreased by pitching enough yeast.

There's really no reason to secondary at all unless you have specific reasons to do it.

Back