New chiller ROCKS!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
Brewed an English bitter last night in our new 10gal kettle from Homebrewstuff.com, chilled the wort down to 60*F with our new counterflow chiller from Dudadiesel.com. Water temp going in to chiller was 50*F, wort temp was 200*F. It was our first try with the chiller, so we racked it into a bucket instead of a carboy since we weren't sure how good it would cool our wort. Needless to day once the bucket was full, the wort temp was 60 friggin degrees!! We were stoked! And for the price, $105, we think its a GREAT deal. Plus we shaved at least 45min off our brew day. B3-23A 20 plate chiller is the model if anyone's looking for a great chunk of metal.

That's great to hear, as I recently bought their 30 plate B3-23a and just finished hanging it on my in-progress single tier build.

I suspected I'd have to throttle the water side as my well runs in the low 50s even in the dog days of summer. I think you've pretty much confirmed that suspicion. It's a high class problem to have, for sure ;)

Cheers!

Heh jealous of you guys. I live in Texas and I'd say during the summer my water is probably going to be a solid 80F. Getting a plate chiller soon. Don't want to use ice. Hope I can just recirculate for a few mins and hit around 80 then put the carboy in my ferm. freezer and pitch in an hour.

It was probably our best purchase to date, we are definitely happy with the performance of it. And not having to screw around with that friggin immersion chiller is a definite plus.

What are you guys doing to filter pre-chiller I really want to buy one but keep hearing about nightmares of them being easy to plug

Cdelap, we put our hops in one of those nylon hop bags and it did a decent job of keeping the hop crap to a minimum. Granted some got out but our valve is mounted around an inch off the bottom and it seemed to work out well. We didn't flush it out til the next morning and were pleasantly surprised that the water ran clear almost immediately.

iijakii said:
Heh jealous of you guys. I live in Texas and I'd say during the summer my water is probably going to be a solid 80F. Getting a plate chiller soon. Don't want to use ice. Hope I can just recirculate for a few mins and hit around 80 then put the carboy in my ferm. freezer and pitch in an hour.

You may want to get a pump that takes from a tub of ice water. Even if you add 80 degree water to it during the chill, you should be able to hit 70 with no problem.

Butter said:
Cdelap, we put our hops in one of those nylon hop bags and it did a decent job of keeping the hop crap to a minimum. Granted some got out but our valve is mounted around an inch off the bottom and it seemed to work out well. We didn't flush it out til the next morning and were pleasantly surprised that the water ran clear almost immediately.

I bought a new style that the brew store had today,I'll be using it this week I think I'll be ordering a plat chiller this week

Used mine for the first time last night, this thing is Awsome it cut every bit of a hour off of my brewing

Latest posts

Back