Too long in the Oxi-Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
OK, I was leaving for work, and I put my bottles in Oxy-Clean to get the labels off. I knew I should take them out when I got home from work. I got busy, then I got lazy, and didn't get to it till this morning. Now all my bottles have a white film on them. How the heck do I get that off? I mean, it's worse than the labels, and I'm afraid it might contaminate my beer that I planned on bottling tonight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had that on my sink and a few of my bottles I was soaking, It just scrubbed right off for me, but I did also have a very weak solution because I ran out of oxy clean

The last 2 weeks in a row I have let 24 - 22oz bottles sit in a cooler with water and 1 scoop of oxi-clean for a week before cleaning them. I had no residue and also I filled up the bottles with plain water before soaking in oxi-clean so I would not get the soap inside the bottles. You may have used a bit more than is required. One of the things I love about Oxi-Clean is it rinses very clean. Just use a rag to wipe them down and some fresh water and you should be good to go.

AleHole said:
The last 2 weeks in a row I have let 24 - 22oz bottles sit in a cooler with water and 1 scoop of oxi-clean for a week before cleaning them. I had no residue and also I filled up the bottles with plain water before soaking in oxi-clean so I would not get the soap inside the bottles. You may have used a bit more than is required. One of the things I love about Oxi-Clean is it rinses very clean. Just use a rag to wipe them down and some fresh water and you should be good to go.
I probably did use too much, but I'm still a noob :) It doesn't rinse off. It does look like a film on the bottle. I'm more worried about the insides, because I had them completely submerged in the solution. I'm wondering if a trip through the dishwasher would solve it. Ugh..... Do I need new bottles? Lesson learned. Don't be such a lazy bum...

If you run them through the dishwasher don't use soap, this might help. Maybe if you soak them in some hot water and then hit them with some scotchbrite or a kitchen scrubbie?

Same thing has happened to me. It has to do with the variety of Oxi Clean you buy. Sorry can't tell you the name of the one to aviod, but I can tell you how to get the residue off.

Buy a couple of gallons of vinegar, the cheap stuff. Soak bottles in it for a bit and pull them out and dry them. You can dilute with water if you want, but I don't think it does as good of job.

I ran into the same thing and I was not using Oxi-clean. I found it was the glue that was holding on the label. I am not sure which bottle the glue came from (or the brewery for that matter) but started sticking to just a few that I know the glue wont contaminate the bottles. I ended up throwing out the bottles that would not come clean. When I am using Oxi-clean, I use the one without dies or scent. Good luck.

I've had it happen with with real, honest-to-goodness, registered-trademark Oxy-Clean. Running them in the dishwasher with no soap will NOT remove that white film/powder, trust me.

What I did was dunk them in white vinegar, rinse and sanitize as usual. Everything was fine after that with no effect to the beer.

Soaking in a Star-San solution will also help. Good use if you have a gallon or two of old stuff kickikng around.

Glad it worked for ya.

I usually peel my labels off when I finish the beer. I drink a lot of Bridgeport and they come right off. If I have trouble I'll give them a short hot water soak. Then I give a little soak and scrub the glue residue of with a scotch pad. While it's still two steps it seems to work out a little better for me.

Part of the nice thing is it get me down to doing five or six at a time instead of staring at a cooler full of 55 bottles that need their labels peeled before I can bottle.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Part of the nice thing is it get me down to doing five or six at a time instead of staring at a cooler full of 55 bottles that need their labels peeled before I can bottle.

LOL Isn't that what kids are for? :tank:

Ize

Back