New bad lot of Nottingham yeast ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: After rethinking, all three of the batches that got down to 1.006 have been all grain batches (I was doing extracts before and getting to 1.010-1.012) so maybe this played a role in the lower attenuation?

Most likely, this. Extract is usually, to the best of my knowledge, targeted at a balance of attenuation and body. This may also play some role in the difference for your Krausen.

I ended up pitching some S-04 that I ad in the frig after 50 hours of no activity, confirmed via hydrometer. Kegged 2 weeks ago and drank tonight....absolutely perfect. My guess, one truck, or skid or something of this Notty got baked on accident in some way. Oh well, Fermentis dry yeast has never let me down!

just used a notty and it didnt start at all. Ruined my english IPA. I will never use nottingham ever again

What, Did you not believe there was a problem, and they recalled this batch just because there was a few complaints?:(

I bought a vial of white labs nottingham and will use it for my next 3 brews then hopefully next year Danstar will get it together

Did you have excessive lag times or other indications of less than healthy yeast?

No, the fermentations seemed to go normally with about 80% attenuation. The final products just tastes horrible. Both brews have this weird astringent flavor and aroma that I've never experienced before. These batches have been bottled for almost two months and have been stored cold for a couple weeks. The off flavors have not dissipated.

just used a notty and it didnt start at all. Ruined my english IPA. I will never use nottingham ever again

I had a no-start with Safale S-04 not too long back. Fortunately, some US-05 pitched after 48 hours started it right up and saved the brew.

I'm wondering whether excessive heat during shipping is killing dry yeast. I read somewhere about how containers used for shipping can get scary high temperatures in some situations. Depending upon when and how the yeast comes across the Atlantic....

Rich

I caught myself thinking about using Notty again in a Barleywine. Glad I opened the thread to remind me not to mess with it.

I caught myself thinking about using Notty again in a Barleywine. Glad I opened the thread to remind me not to mess with it.

I've had mine going for a week on two packs of hydrated Nottingham. Fast vigorous fermentation although I haven't bothered to check the FG yet. I'm looking forward to this one (some day).

A few weeks ago I pitched Danstar Nottingham, expires some time in 2011, but I don't know lot number. Used it before and it was good, but this time after 36 hours... nothing, pitched a different yeast.

(wort was aerated, low-medium gravity, and good temperature)

Just tried 3rd pack of this lot number......Junk!
They floated on top of the cup for a few minutes, and then sank into the abyss. I should have taken a picture of it so people could see what it looks like. Of course it just looks like it does in the package only in water. The beer I made was just some left over 2 row and rice. (light beer experiment) All I could come up with for yeast was a package of Munich wheat beer yeast so I don't know what I'll have going on. fermenting @64 right now. It'll make beer, I just hope it is drinkable...:p

Again! I got some replacement Nottingham from the source after lengthy emails back & forth. This afternoon I used one of the replacement packages sent to me directly from Lallemand. Lot #1080472V.

Like the two I had problems with before the yeast, after hydration, sank to the bottom and did not cream and had a sulfur meat smell. Unlike there other times though did not pitch it (I am not a *total* fool!) instead I switched to S-04. Very disappointing since for this beer Nottingham (in its prime) would have been perfect but it was not worth the risk IMHO.

I now have the hydrated Nottingham and am wondering what to do with it! I may make a starter with it to see what happens - any suggestions? It still looks inert after 3 hours, no creaming just a yeast layer sitting at the bottom of some water.

Again! I got some replacement Nottingham from the source after lengthy emails back & forth. This afternoon I used one of the replacement packages sent to me directly from Lallemand. Lot #1080472V.

Like the two I had problems with before the yeast, after hydration, sank to the bottom and did not cream and had a sulfur meat smell. Unlike there other times though did not pitch it (I am not a *total* fool!) instead I switched to S-04. Very disappointing since for this beer Nottingham (in its prime) would have been perfect but it was not worth the risk IMHO.

I now have the hydrated Nottingham and am wondering what to do with it! I may make a starter with it to see what happens - any suggestions? It still looks inert after 3 hours, no creaming just a yeast layer sitting at the bottom of some water.

Throw some honey or something for them to eat in there and see what happens. Even a tsp of table sugar would give you an idea if they are active.

Well despite me getting a bad sachet just 3 weeks ago, I went ahead and gave Notty another try. I pitched 2 packs into my barleywine last night, and it was blowing off by breakfast time!

I'm brewing on Friday so I'm making a starter with this. I'll toss it then if inactivity or nasty smell... In the mean time I'll feel smart and irritated. I have 10 packs of this lot#

I'm brewing on Friday so I'm making a starter with this. I'll toss it then if inactivity or nasty smell... In the mean time I'll feel smart and irritated. I have 10 packs of this lot#

You shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate it, and if you're really worried, put a pinch of sugar or malt extract in with your rehydration water to proof it.

You shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate it, and if you're really worried, put a pinch of sugar or malt extract in with your rehydration water to proof it.

I know. I am attempting to make sure it is in fact a bum batch, so making a starter out of it will allow me to make a proper determination. It is already hydrated and exhibiting the same lack of behavior I've seen twice before.

I gotta ask, why are you torturing yourself with this crap yeast. Nottingham has not done anything (that I know of) to correct their quality control problems. You know this from first hand experince. Until they do something to fix their problem, I am not interested in risking a batch of my beer with their crap yeast...
P.S. Tonight I am making a starter with WLP007

I'm just about done with my ESB batch brewed with this yeast, just 2 days after the first post on this thread. Did just fine. Had a slow start, just like the OP, whose "questionable" batch probably came out just fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/nottingham-yeast-acting-lazy-190031/

Too much wankering going on here. Of course I will continue using Nottingham, if anything to piss off [Edit] Get your Notthingham from Brewmasterwharehouse.com if you insist on being a sissy, the latest batch I got from them is 07 2012. Brew On!

The latest lot (the one that started this thread was: 1080961099V exp 12.2011) There were also other lots that have reported problems. This lot was recently recalled.

smata67, crash1292, I deleted your comments. How either of you thought that this was helpful brewing advice is beyond me.

Check yourselves.

Re-opening this thread but I reserve the right to pull the car over and leave people who can't be civil or follow the rules by the side of the road.

Got 2 packages at the homebrew store (luckily) on Monday night. Broke one open, rehydrated it and it really had no activity during rehydration. No slurry, no foam, still all pellets. This was after about 30-45 mins sitting in warm water. Pitched it Monday night and by Tuesday night nothing. I got to wondering so I got on here and sure enough people have been having issues. So, I got my other packet, followed the same procedures. This time, I had a slurry, had foam after 15-20 mins. Pitched it on Tuesday night and by Wednesday night I had bubbles.

Just thought I'd share.

Got 2 packages at the homebrew store (luckily) on Monday night. Broke one open, rehydrated it and it really had no activity during rehydration. No slurry, no foam, still all pellets. This was after about 30-45 mins sitting in warm water. Pitched it Monday night and by Tuesday night nothing. I got to wondering so I got on here and sure enough people have been having issues. So, I got my other packet, followed the same procedures. This time, I had a slurry, had foam after 15-20 mins. Pitched it on Tuesday night and by Wednesday night I had bubbles.

Just thought I'd share.

Were both packs of yeast from the same lot?

Were both packs of yeast from the same lot?

Yes, same were the lot that this thread has been going on and on about. Not sure if it was the first pitch that finally kicked in or the 2nd pitch that kicked in 24 hours after pitching it. Hard to say, but the first yeast packet rehydration just didn't look right.

I hydrated and pitched lot # 1080961099V last night at 9:00. No foam when hydrating. It sunk to the bottom and there was a film of clear liquid floating on top of the mixture. I will update how long it takes for activity. I am not worried though. The Windsor I pitched a couple weeks ago did the same thing and took almost 48 hours to ferment visibly. In my past experience, slow starts lead to vigorous ferments. I think the cells are multiplying before they go to the buffet, because when they do, its fast and furious.

I hydrated and pitched lot # 1080961099V last night at 9:00. No foam when hydrating. It sunk to the bottom and there was a film of clear liquid floating on top of the mixture. I will update how long it takes for activity. I am not worried though. The Windsor I pitched a couple weeks ago did the same thing and took almost 48 hours to ferment visibly. In my past experience, slow starts lead to vigorous ferments. I think the cells are multiplying before they go to the buffet, because when they do, its fast and furious.

Good luck with that. Just in case you may want to have some alternative yeast ready and waiting to pitch in and save the day...

Just got a few packs from batch 10810472V...first pack rehydrated just fine...had water temp @ 95F. This is of course to fix the first pack I pitched two days ago that never took off...

From the 2-3 bad packets I've had so far that severely lag...I would say if it isn't thick and creamy after 20 minutes you've got a bad one. Nottingham is cheap enough where I just stock up on 5+...

60 hours and I am seeing some action. Nothing to write home about, but when I get home from work today I am sure it will be going like mad.

Four days later and the airlock activity has finally stopped. I was getting continuous bubbling for 2 days there. The Notty yeast is a little iffy sometimes, but I haven't lost faith in it.

Heh a little bit of thread resurrection :)

I pitched 11 g of Notty Lot 108117102 with expiration date of 5/2011 and got no activity in 48 hr. I mean NOTHING. No apparent multiplying Yeast in solution. Wort was crystal clear, and, of course no airlock activity. Interestingly, I had two other packets of this 'same' lot, but like other posts here, the others had exp dates of 6/2011. The last time I used it, it was already a month past expiry and still took off like a rocket. This time, nothing. Can't complain since it is almost 6 months expired now. After 48h I pitched a new packet of Notty, 1080363V exp 7/13 and it started forming yeast islands in about 4 hours, and started krausen in about 10 hrs... THAT is more like the Notty I have known and loved every other time.

I suppose it is remotely possible that the first packet finally kicked in..but I kind of doubt it. Neither one really foamed during rehydration and the second pack was pitched from a relatively warm rehydration (~75 deg F) into cold wort (~64 deg F) while the first was pitched at about the same temp (~80 deg F for both). In the past I generally pitched more along the lines of the 80 degree wort and yeast and never had a problem.

The new packets of Nottingham are all fine. I was one of the biggest detractors when they were delivering a bad product and refusing to step up and deal with it. The good news is, they have. Before the dark days, I always used Nottingham - for my taste, it is great for pale ales of various types. It's back to that now - the last few I've used starting active bubbling within an hour or two and have produced REALLY fine beers.

Back