washing machine valve manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had a great idea for a manifold in the mash tun I am building. I have been trying to plumb my igloo cooler so it is all copper because I want to connect it to my pump and into a heat exchanger. I found that Oatey washing machine valves were exactly what I was looking for, a long threaded stem with nylon nuts. get a sink repair nut for the other side and Viola you got a solid bulkhead for $6...except the valve is 1/4 inch.
Bulkhead.jpg
I think this will be a problem when the pump is running potentially building up negative pressure and aerating the hot wort but sucking in air. I am planing on running 1/2in copper and , 3/8 soft tube for the plumbing, and was planning on using 1/2 valves. Should I convert them to 1/2 valves or will the 1/4 valves not cause a problem?

I plan on wiring the pump to a speed controller and a flow meter I got on ebay so theoretically I should be able to control the flow rate out of the pump but I am not sure if this would solve the problem.

any suggestions?

EDIT: After sleeping on it I realized that I can plumb the whole system with SS supply line.

Back