No Carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josavich

Reaction score
I tried my cider this weekend for the first time since bottling and there is very little carbination. Only a few bubbles. I left this cider in primary for 1 month and secondary for about 2 months and its been bottled since about late Jan. It was about 4 gallons and I used 1/2 a cup of sugar. It's been in my basement the entire time at about 64 degrees. Did I just not use enough sugar and if so is there any thing I can do do fix it?

I bottled a cider a couple of weeks ago and low and behold I got the same result. I am writing it off to another enough yeast left in suspension to do its thing. But I actually didn't secondary, so I am not sure what the deal is for sure. The only positive is ciders can be enjoyed "Still" also.

you could be a little short on the priming sugar as a standard is 3/4 cup per 5 gallons or 1 oz per gallon. For cider I've used a touch more than this and good a decent carb, as I've found that 3/4 cup for 5 gallons wasn't quite enough for me.

64 degrees is pretty cold for most wine yeast (if you used wine yeast). Bring a few of the bottles upstairs, and put them someplace warm (like on top of the fridge). Wine yeast can be very warm- like 80 degrees- and be happy. That should help get them carbed up. That's really light on the priming sugar, but you should have a little carbonation.

Thanks I'll give that a try and hope for the best. I was wondering if it would be possible to open some of the bottles and drop carbing tablets in them and recap?

Back