Brewhardware new RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could certainly hang the rims off the MLT return but you'd either need to make up a back to back B/D to couple the two males together or reverse the fitting on your return to a D so the rims inserts directly.
In other words, you may think that the RIMS has type A cams threaded on to NPT threads, but that thing is welded right to the tube.

My only concern would be providing stability at the bottom of the tube as that would be a lot of weight leveraged off of your return port. Perhaps a rubber foot on the 8mm bolt that I provide with the kit.

I definitely am curious about these attached directly to a cooler. Either direct cam connection or through short tubing.

Got the parts in and did a quick test. Slapped the typeD fitting on the mlt return port and found the tube connected nicely.

image-739613188.jpg

I agree 100% with Bobby that there needs to be some support at the bottom of the tube back to the kettle to ease the pull on the upper output from the tube. Which would be a very simple thing as there is a built in nut on the tri-clover (nice!). However. As you all can see from the picture below, I have an issue with the tube extending too far below the kettle. Measure twice...

image-1295667618.jpg

I'm working on a three way valve so I can flow either from the rims or the hlt without disconnecting and might get a better angle off that. Will report back as it comes together.

What's been the most popular so far, 12" or 18"? I just ordered the 18" this weekend but was thinking of attempting to change that up depending on the availability of elements. I think this is one case where bigger isn't better. I like the looks/info on that 240v element posted a few posts up and it looks like it would fit into a 12" tube.

Anyone care to chime in on what 240v element they've had good luck with?

Is there any issue with purchasing the 18" and using an element that would work with a 12" tube? I'm thinking of possibly converting from 120V to 240V in the future.

Question on SS elements. I have found many that say they are SS but they look grayish/black versus others that are shiny SS. Any feedback on the differences?

I expect to receive an under-powered (1kw) but useful and simple (just has a 120v AC outlet on it) PID. Could I use this tube, and by adding a 240v 1500w heating element (say this: http://bostonheatingsupply.com/SP10869FH.aspx), plug it into the 120v AC outlet on the PID, and get a setup that's sufficient to control changes in temp for an MLT? All I want to do is recirculate and control temp. in a cooler for 5-8 gallon batches.

I really need to see the specs on that controller. Running a 240v, 1500w element on 120v will only give you 475 watts output. You can run 240v elements on 120v, but they'll always give you 1/4 of the rated power so if 1k is your max, a 240v 3500w element would be the sweet spot.

Thanks Bobby, now I'm rethinking my build!
Any discounts available for someone who started his build with regular QD's... PM me please :mug:

I'm working on finalizing what I need for a double build and working with Bobby almost daily, he's a wealth of information

wish he answered his emails . would love a response on missing merchandise in order

He's always been quick to answer my many emails. Make sure a spam filter somewhere isn't eating yours.

BTW, a little birdy told me that some backordered posts went out late last week. I'm expecting my tube and element hardware tomorrow. :)

thanks for that fast reply .I sent him two emails . one this afternoon and one last night . maybe just off doing something else and has forgotten to check his mail. I do not have a spam filter . I just delete that annoying things .
Sure has some great prices . Was wanting to order some more stuff but wanted to get the missing cam in the same box to save him some shipping money sending it to me . Was checking out his thermometers . amazing closeness to the thermapen for 17 bucks .

MarcusKillion said:
thanks for that fast reply .I sent him two emails . one this afternoon and one last night . maybe just off doing something else and has forgotten to check his mail. I do not have a spam filter . I just delete that annoying things .
Sure has some great prices . Was wanting to order some more stuff but wanted to get the missing cam in the same box to save him some shipping money sending it to me . Was checking out his thermometers . amazing closeness to the thermapen for 17 bucks .

Don't worry he's not dodging you. Bobby is legit. There's a reason or he is just busy. Always great ordering experiences for me.

LOL, I think out of the 4 orders or so I've placed at least 3 of those I've emailed him/ordered again/added something on and worked with him to get it out in the same box and save shipping costs. I finally had to stop looking at his site until my order arrived.

I am not sweating it . if I do not here back soon I will just place my next order and order another one . Only $4.15 . then I will have two of them when I get the missing one .
thinking of adding one of them weldless sight glasses to my new BK . Now I just use a paddle with marks cut in it but that is not accurate when that wort is boiling or just shut off .

I would suggest editing the post and removing the email addresses, before a crawler has a chance to find them and put them on a spam list.

Bobby M ; It is all good . I just figured you were off on a mission doing something and have not had time to read emails .
I got your latest emails .
by the way , great prices in my opinion .

I would suggest editing the post and removing the email addresses, before a crawler has a chance to find them and put them on a spam list.

x2... or delete the post entirely. That probably should have been a PM

I'm really wanting one of these! I've tried emailing Bobby a couple of times, but he hasn't responded. I know the website estimates March 24th, but I'd love to be able to put in a preorder. I'm ready to spend a few $$!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just keep checking his website. Bobby is really good about updating it when he gets his stock replenished. For a small business things can get really hairy in a hurry if you do things like pre-order of things not in stock. Some people get really antsy after they have paid and not gotten items yet. It also can become a paperwork nightmare tracking who has paid and not. I'm sure he does it this way so he can keep everyone much happier in the long run. It seems as though he always has stuff coming in, so you probably won't have to wait too long!

This particular shipment has been a nightmare of pushbacks and I tried responding to everyone that was inquiring but there were so many that it's been hard. Spellman has it correct. I HATE accepting preorders and backordering things because the moment there's another delay of 2-3 days over previous ETA, I have to put an employee on a computer to respond to the flood of emails.

I do have confirmation that the last batch has shipped but it takes 2 days to get a tracking number. Depending on the carrier, I should get them in 4-8 days. Once I see that everything is in the U.S., I will open up the shipping buttons.

I do have confirmation that the last batch has shipped but it takes 2 days to get a tracking number. Depending on the carrier, I should get them in 4-8 days. Once I see that everything is in the U.S., I will open up the shipping buttons.

Got my tracking number in the mail yesterday. Can't wait for it to show up!

Back