Lid leaks on new keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

The other day I ordered a brand new kegging system from Northern Brewer, with a new keg, never used before. I'm washing it out with PBW, and I was hooking it up to the gas to check for leaks (and to push the PBW water out).

Problem is when I turn on the pressure, one spot on the oval lid starts to hiss out water. I checked the o-ring, and it looks immaculate, no tears or anything. Do I have the lid seated improperly or something? Any ideas?

It's very frustrating; I was looking forward to kegging my second batch today.

You might have to get a new O ring. In the mean time try rotating the lid 180 degrees and see if that helps.

It could be that you've got a bad lid or cornie.

abracadabra said:
You might have to get a new O ring. In the mean time try rotating the lid 180 degrees and see if that helps.

It could be that you've got a bad lid or cornie.

I second that and also would try some keg lube...

Well, I repositioned the seal and the lid, and it seemed to have worked that time. Yeah! :rockin:

Soulive said:
I second that and also would try some keg lube...

What's keg lube? Is it required?

That's all I've got as well. If neither of those work for you, try a different O ring.

If that doesn't work, send it to me. :D

Yeah, you need keg lube. It keeps the o-rings from drying out and helps make a good seal. One little think of it will last you forever.

Hillbillie PHiL said:
! :rockin:

What's keg lube? Is it required?

A food grade waterproof grease with synthetic lubricants, ideal for lubricating the Hermetic Stopper and other rubber O rings or valves on any kegging system.

Not in my opinion rubber gaskets and O rings are pretty cheap. Still I can see where it might come in handy every now and then. But so might a little Crisco.

Okay thanks for the tips, guys... Kegging is fun! :D

I'll probably get some keg lube if it helps the seal, but the consensus seems to be that it's not absolutely needed. I guess my next batch will incorporate yet another piece of equipment. ;)

Nothing is absolutely needed...but I'd recommend it to anyone.

It is also a lubricant (duh) that allows your QDs slide past the o-rings without damaging (cutting/scraping) them when connecting to the posts as well as compresses under the dip tubes under the posts.

It helps to pull up on the bale and wiggle/rotate the lid to seat it just before snapping the bale down. This always helped me. The lube helps keep the gasket from getting hung up in a poor sealing situation.

I am not sure how much difference it makes at kegging pressures - in scuba gear (2000 psi plus routinely)- a little lube on the O-rings helps the ring to slide around in its seat and deform to the contour of the seat, without tearing itself as the pressure spools up.

As had been said, just a little dab will do ya.

Back