Flocculation WLP008

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahNate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Images are from an all grain pale ale kit I brewed two weeks ago.

Normally I let my brews sit in primary for 3 weeks before bothering to take a hydrometer reading to see if the beer is ready to bottle. I'm not sure what possessed me to break from my normal routine, but I did.

I'm not worried about infection, but I am concerned about what appears to be a lack of flocculation on the part of the yeast. This was the first time I've used WLP008 East Coast Ale. I've read it doesn't flocculate as well as WLP001, but I'm not sure what to expect. All of my previous brews with 001 have cleared nicely at three weeks in primary with no intervention on my part. Fermentation has completed based on the hydrometer reading (~1.012).

Is there anything I can or should do to encourage the yeast to migrate to the bottom of the bucket, or should I just RDWHAHB (it'll be done when it's done and not a moment sooner)?

I should add... There's no rush on my part to bottle this. My pipeline has filled out nicely. I've just never opened a fermentation bucket and been greeted by such a sight before.

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Meh that should drop out soon enough. You can help it by getting it cold.

Back