My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut part of an oak stair tread and then mortised a big rectangle in it....

Let me know what you guys think

Looks nice...well made! Where did you use the mortar? Will that stick to wood / plastic?

This is the Ugly Junk thread, fancy words like "mortise" might not belong here....cheers!

Haha, yea I laugh at my own jokes sometimes!

Looks nice...well made! Where did you use the mortar? Will that stick to wood / plastic?

This is the Ugly Junk thread, fancy words like "mortise" might not belong here....cheers!

Haha, yea I laugh at my own jokes sometimes!

No mortar in it, just wood and some trim glue, I currently do carpentry as my living so I did fancy it up a bit.

Need a little basic help with my ugly mill. I went to the hard wear store and got a screw to put where the handle was. Sawed off the end and attached my drill. But the screw/end of the moll is not straight. So the drill wobbles when I use it.

Any suggestions?

Mine is way off center. I've been using a smaller drill and just toughing it out, but it's way harder on the drill and my wrist. I bought a big honkin low rpm chinese POS from Harbor and I'm pretty sure it will rip my arm off if I don't do something. Some sort of universal joint socket adapter, probably for an impact wrench, sounds like the best bet to me.

Mine is way off center. I've been using a smaller drill and just toughing it out, but it's way harder on the drill and my wrist. I bought a big honkin low rpm chinese POS from Harbor and I'm pretty sure it will rip my arm off if I don't do something. Some sort of universal joint socket adapter, probably for an impact wrench, sounds like the best bet to me.

That would work great, I know sears sells a u juint in 3/8 size. It would go like this

Drill-socket adaptor-u joint-socket

I woud be tempted to see if I could get the seller to replace the unit...this is crap, they should stand behind their product at least a little bit IMHO...since they buy these things cheap by the ton, maybe they have some room for replacement?

I woud be tempted to see if I could get the seller to replace the unit...this is crap, they should stand behind their product at least a little bit IMHO...since they buy these things cheap by the ton, maybe they have some room for replacement?

Except that they are designed and made to be driven by hand where the hole location is much less important. My local Ace Hardware also has the universal joints. It would be better to use two sets of u-joints.

Has anyone actually used one of the u-joints with their corona station yet? I would be interested to hear how it works out.

Also, how did you guys cut your water cooler jugs? I was able to cut up two plastic buckets with my xacto knife but this thing is some kind of crazy hard plastic.

[QUOTE="Also, how did you guys cut your water cooler jugs? I was able to cut up two plastic buckets with my xacto knife but this thing is some kind of crazy hard plastic.[/QUOTE]

I used a razorblade!

Mine too is drilled way off center. I have not tried it yet, but my thought was to chuck up a rod, bolt, whatever... into the drill then find HD rubber hose to fit the rod and the mill shaft bolt and clamp them secure. Hopefully it will dampen the wiggle enough. We shall see...

That sounds dangerous and slightly insane. I think I will try a hacksaw tonight.

I "represent" that remark, have fun w/ the hack saw, be sane and be careful...cheers!

I have a small 5 1/4" circular saw, set the blade with about a 1/4" reveal and zip it...it is not that difficult or dangerous if you are familiar w/ using the tool IMHO.

After cutting mine with a hack saw your method makes a lot more sense. My circular saw is quite a bit bigger and not adjustable. The hack saw took a long time and the cuts are uneven and ugly.

After cutting mine with a hack saw your method makes a lot more sense. My circular saw is quite a bit bigger and not adjustable. The hack saw took a long time and the cuts are uneven and ugly.

Ya sure your circular saw is not adjustable...most have an adjustment to set blade depth, as in the platform that the saw rides on has a wingnut to adjust cutting depth...the 7" saw will work well, just be careful w/ a firm grip on the tool...ok haha cheers.

Here's my ugly junk. Thanks to wilserbrewer, revvy, and everyone else in this thread who I drew inspiration from. The corona mill is attached to the orange 5 gallon bucket, which has no bottom. The grain falls into the white 7 gallon bucket.

Nfwsr.jpg

uGxId.jpg

I just got mine delivered today from discount Tommy's eBay site. First glance it looks good but I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Picked this one up on craigslist... I actally sold my crankenstein for this instead!

Someone put some nice engineering into it, and other than adjusting the crush for my efficiency desires, I love it:)

mill0.jpg

mill1.jpg

Ya! Mill with motor, hopper, stand, switch for $75 vs. base crankenstein with bucket and drill? Happy man:)

Playing with the adjustment of the grist, and it easily crushes a finer grain. It is slower, but with the motor, hands free. I was getting 77% efficiency before, and 75% or lower now with one stuck sparge. I feel like when I have it adjusted correctly it will be better. I like it mainly because it was from a guy that brewed for 30 years that was head of the boulder beer club and friends with Michael Jackson the malt genius:) kind of a piece of brewing history:)

Nice Ben. That thing is a testament to how long these mills last as there is not much that can wear out. I like the pillow block on the far side of the drive pulley.

You have a nice head start towards a brewing museum with those Hoff Stevens kegs in the background. What are your plans for them if you don't mind me asking?

I have four of them and use them as fermenters before transferring into quarter barrells and sixtels for serving:)

Added this to mine this weekend. Turns a bit fast at 450 rpm, but seems to work well. My first brew since September is boiling right now, and came in at 77% efficiency. Works for me. I like that I can rest both handles on my legs (one on each knee)and just let it run. Runs through 12 lbs on about a minute.

Got it for $15 at a local pawn shop. Just needed a set of brushes which I happened to have on hand. I am sure it will be useful for many other things around the garage.

image-2577084743.jpg

image-2138246779.jpg

Sorry if this was already posted but whats the best way to secure the grinding plate? Mine is the type that only is held in place by a cotter pin. The plate wobbles back and forth and I think it is to blame for my last batches poor efficiency.

Sorry if this was already posted but whats the best way to secure the grinding plate? Mine is the type that only is held in place by a cotter pin. The plate wobbles back and forth and I think it is to blame for my last batches poor efficiency.

I let mine ride like that, once grain entered between the plates it self leveled itself and wasn't an issue. Is the plate gap set properly?

I let mine ride like that, once grain entered between the plates it self leveled itself and wasn't an issue. Is the plate gap set properly?

I thought I had the gap set as tight as i could without the plates grinding against each other. I will have to play around with it tonight to see.

I thought I had the gap set as tight as i could without the plates grinding against each other. I will have to play around with it tonight to see.

I have mine set where I can slide a credit card between the plates. Still snug to get it in, but it worked great. Are there many uncrushed grains after you mill?

I have mine set where I can slide a credit card between the plates. Still snug to get it in, but it worked great. Are there many uncrushed grains after you mill?

No uncrushed grains that I noticed. The crush looked good to me but my efficiency was only 62% vs my usual 75 or so.

Fordzilla said:
No uncrushed grains that I noticed. The crush looked good to me but my efficiency was only 62% vs my usual 75 or so.

Tighten it up just a little bit before your next batch. I just adjusted my first batch with dme and hit right at 75% on my second batch. I haven't touched it since then and am consistently within 2 points of that.

Back