priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I've got a 5 gal batch of irish stout that I'm going to bottle tomorrow. My question is how much water and sugar do I use and how long do I boil them before adding to my bottling bucket?

General easy peasy rule of thumb is 5 oz of priming sugar to 1 cup water. Find an online brew calculater that will match more to your style. Corn sugar is a clean carb....

That's the hard part! I've done a couple 2 gal batches and just added sugar to the bottles. This is my first 5 gal batch. I'm excited

I hear you...the only thing that helps me is to brew once a week...I have beer coming out if my ears! I bottle and keg now because I don't have the room to do just one or the other. Most of my beers sit for at least a month tho.

How much flavor does adding a couple more weeks of conditioning? I'm mostly sticking with 2-3

There is a lot of debate over this. The best thing to do is sample your beer every week to see if YOU can tell the difference...Seems to me that if its your beer you can damn well drink it when u like!!! Jokes aside, the stronger flavors tend to mellow and blend, in my experience...4 weeks is a minimum for me unless I have a time restraint.

I use this priming calculator; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
I boil 2C of water for a few minutes,taske it off the heat & stir in the weighed amount of sugar till it dissolves. don't boil it for a longer time,or you can wind up with what's called simple syrup.
Since pasteurization happens about 162F,you don't need to boil it,which can start making long chain sugars that don't ferment out alll the way.

Back