ipa, less sediment in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first IPA. I noticed after pouring a bottle, that there's barely any sediment on the bottom of the bottle which is unlike all my previous brews. Its absolutely not a problem as the beer is good and its less work to clean the bottles. I was just curious, is that typical of IPA's?

No, it's not really typical to have less sediment based on the type of beer.

It really depends more on how clear the beer is when it's bottled (less crud to fall out, if the beer is clear) and the yeast strain (some are more flocculant than others).

I wouldn't say it is typical for an IPA, but it is typical of a beer that was bottled carefully, and not too early. It is also typical of a beer that used a high flocculating yeast.

Enjoy.

-a.

It was primaried for 3 weeks and secondary for 1 week to dry hop. Saf.05 yeast. Thanks fellas.

It was primaried for 3 weeks and secondary for 1 week to dry hop. Saf.05 yeast. Thanks fellas.

That'll give you clear beer and very little sediment most of the time. 05 is pretty good yeast and it tends to drop clear fairly easily. The rack to secondary will help most yeasts drop out as well, IME. A careful rack after that for bottling, and you likely bottled a very clear brew. Clear brew at bottling tends to mean less sediment in the bottle.

Back