Innis and Gunn Canada Day Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
Really looking for any pointers I can get on this, first time trying to come up with a recipe. Here is some details about the beer as stated on the box:

"Alongside ale malt we added Aromatic Barley Malt which imparts the beer's rich toffee colour and satisfying maltiness. We used Goldings hops from 3 farms in East Kent to impart a delicate balancing bitterness and a fruity twist.

We then slowly oak matured the beer to unlock the delicious flavours of vanilla and toffee locked inside the oak grain, only bottling it when we deemed it to have matured to perfection.

Colour: Toffee

Nose: A big malty burst with subtle oak notes and a touch of toffee. Delicate soft fruits from the hops develop with time.

Palate: Full and biscuit-malt sweet with a mouth watering toffee oak character. The hops give a subtle underlying bitterness and a pleasant soft fruit tingle.

Finish: Toffee and hints of vanilla with some hints of madeira cake, sherbert and pear.

7.7% alc./vol"

Alright so now that that's out of the way this is what I have come up with for a recipe so far.

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 23L
Boil Size: 3gal

Light LME: 13lbs
Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L: 8oz
Biscuit Malt: 8oz
Aromatic Malt: 8oz
Roasted Barley: 3.2oz
Flaked Wheat: 4oz (head retention?)
Goldings: 1oz 60min
Goldings: .5oz 30min
Goldings: .25oz 10min
Goldings: .25oz 0min
Yeast: WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

Est OG: 1.079 Est FG: 1.020 Est ABV: 7.8%

Steep grains at 158 for 30min.
Boil Hops, wort and 3lbs LME.
Add remainder LME at 15min-Flameout.
1-2 weeks primary
2-4 weeks secondary on oak chips until desired flavour reached.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated the style would be something like a wee heavy as I understand.

My impression: that's a lot of LME
6 KG of LME for a 23L brew. The LHBS has kits that are 3.2 KG as a standard for 23L.
I have Papazian's recipe book and I believe the highest amount of malt called for was 4.7 KG for a Maibock.
One thing to note: at our monthly beer club, guys avoid the beers that have a high ABV- they slow you down.
SHAL

The beer I'm trying to copy has an abv of 7.7% its ment as a treat once in a while not to session. Just curious about my specialty grains, are they to high, our to lite or about right for that style. Or if there is anything missing.

Have you considered posting your recipes in the "recipe" section of this forum?
You'll probably find more people who know about the grains you're using. I'm curious to learn how you came about putting together this recipe, the grains in particular. Whereabouts are you in Canada?

Down in ns, I just took the info on the box about the aromatic malt, and biscuit flavor, found a few basic clones that said there was a small amount of roasted barley. From there wanted the crystal for that sweet malty taste that is present in that beer. Will do on posting in recipe section hopefully I can get amounts of specialty grains tuned in and give this a go in the next few weeks.

Back