new freezer with Johnson A419 control unit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
So, I finally finished my laundry room last night and put in my new Holiday 7.0 freezer from Lowe's. I purchased a Johnson 419 temperature controller and currently have it set for 42F, 5 degree differential, and anti-short cycle of 4 minutes.

I placed a cup of water in the freezer and it reads 35F. Does this sound about correct to everyone or is it too cold?

Thanks!

I'm no expert w/ temp. controllers, but...
I've had similar problems w/ my A419 (w/ warmer temps) - you're obviously doing Lagers?
Decrease your differential to 2-3 deg. - so the temp swings aren't so wide - you might increase the anti-short cycle to 7-10 min. Also, keep in mind that the ambient temp in your fermentor is more dynamic than the temp of your beer (esp. 5 gallons).

Ahh, I forgot to say I am just (currently) storing some finished beer in there. But I do plan on lagering at some point (before I get kegs).

Made some adjustments:

SP - 42
DIF - 2
ASD - 12

The water in the cup was 36F so that seems good to me, maybe a little cold.

Here's what mine looks like (for ales)
SP - 63
DIF - 2
ASD - 10

I was kind of hoping others' w/ more experience would chime in too.

Made some adjustments:

SP - 42
DIF - 2
ASD - 12

The water in the cup was 36F so that seems good to me, maybe a little cold.

How long has the system been stable? The water in the cup should be 40-44. When I'm lagering I still use the small volume of water for the probe, I found using a thermowell in the beer doesn't work as well due to the large liquid volume.

Back