1st Lager underway....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
At least I hope so. I pitched a pretty big starter. It's a Pilsner Urquell from AHBS that I could'nt resist throwing a cup of extra DME in so it came out at 1.054.

The instructions say ferment for 10 days and then warm up for 2 days for a diacetyl rest and then lager at 40 F for 3-4 weeks.

I've read that these lagers should ferment for 2-3 weeks and then lager at lower temps around 35 F.

What say you lager experts?

BTW Yooper Chick or the poster formerly known as "Yooper Chick", I pitched a ferment temp starter to a ferment temp wort just like you said so I'll blame you if this thing does'nt work out. ;)

Anyway I'm just thrilled to be brewing a lager :ban: but it will stink if it does'nt turn out. Waiting two months for crappy beer is not my idea of fun.

Regards,
Al

I'm just now drinking my first two lagers, an Oktoberfest and a Vienna Lager, and they came out great (IMHO).

I would advise taking specific gravity readings to determine when to begin the diacetyl rest instead of a specific number of days. I started my rests when they were both within about 4-5 points of their expected terminal gravity. The rest lasted 3-4 days, I think, then I brought them down to about 40 deg. F., racked into kegs, then conditioned at 34 deg. F. for about 5 weeks.

By doing the diacetyl rest close to the end of fermentation, you are ensuring a complete fermentation (as well as reduction of diacetyl) before lagering, so you don't need to do a lagering at 40... just go right to 34. I only paused at 40 so I could rack into kegs.

They taste great. Will be drinking a bunch of them today at my alma mater's homecoming!

Hope this helps, even though I am not a lager expert! I read various sources, and how I conducted everything was based on my best understanding.

-Steve

Back