• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pricing Help- 27 gallon jacketed fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethfdabomb

Reaction score
Need some advice,
Working on importing a few 27 gallon jacketed ss conical fermentors, w/ CIP nozzle, sanitary connections, and sanitary valve on bottom. I want to import a few more so I can cover some of the cost of the ones I'm going to use. How much should I price these at?

They will look like the attached picture just a little smaller.

Thanks for the help!

Seth

2.jpg

I'll take 3 at 500 each. Haha. But seriously you should be able to get between 1500-2000 each depending on quality

Haha, yeah 500 each eh? I wish that’s what they cost me! Thanks for the info though. I was thinking around that amount. Just wanted some reassurance!
Now I’m just gonna engineer some way to cool them. I was thinking of using a fish tank water cooler....they cycle water in an out of a fish tank to keep them at temp...Any other suggestions? Other than the converted mini fridge and sump method...'

Thanks

Seth

Pm me I would like some more information on how many you are importing and possible business oppertunities

Any dimensions on these?

Also, what's up with the .84 bbl, seems weird to me. Glacier tanks does the same thing 0.9 bbl. Then they go 2,3,4, etc....bbl --- what's with the skimp on the 1bbl systems? What am I missing?

Surfing the interwebs, Stouts makes a 40 gallon fermenter with CIP spray ball that will fit in a converted freezer for around $1100 -- I'm not suggesting they are same league with regards to quality -- but the Stouts fermenter seems to have the advantages of the ability to hold a full 1bbl, affordability and ease of temperature control (I'm thinking a used craiglist freezer with dwyer temp controller for each fermenter) --

What are your reasons/the advantages these tanks have over the stouts?

PS -- thanks for humoring a mass production noob ;)

Cheers!

What are your reasons/the advantages these tanks have over the stouts?

PS -- thanks for humoring a mass production noob ;)

Cheers!

Jacketed. Which means you can run a pump (usually glycol chiller) through the jacketed layer to cool the fermenters. Jacketed usually cost almost twice+ what a regular single wall fermenter cost. Check out the price difference on Stouts page with the 2-3bbl fermenters single wall and jacketed.

Jacketed. Which means you can run a pump (usually glycol chiller) through the jacketed layer to cool the fermenters. Jacketed usually cost almost twice+ what a regular single wall fermenter cost. Check out the price difference on Stouts page with the 2-3bbl fermenters single wall and jacketed.

Ok, but is purchasing and running a glycol unit more cost effective than running a freezer fermentation chamber? Can you purchase glycol units that heat and cool

Again, just trying to weigh the cost and advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other.

Ok, but is purchasing and running a glycol unit more cost effective than running a freezer fermentation chamber? Can you purchase glycol units that heat and cool

Again, just trying to weigh the cost and advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other.

Glycol circulates in the jacketed space around the fermentation - whether it's heating or cooling depends on how you have it set up (either heat the glycol or chill the glycol).

When you step into multi-barrel fermenters it's often not feasible to have a fermentation room for each fermenter.

As far as why the short-changing of the 1 barrel fermenters, generally speaking a multi-barrel system is more commercial in nature where anything under 1 barrel is going to be a hobbyist. I don't know any homebrewers that brew 30 gallon batches - but know a bunch that do 20 gallon batches and therefore would need a 25-27 gallon conical (.8-.9 barrel). Blichmann does make a 42 gallon conical which would be appropriate for a single barrel batch.

Glycol circulates in the jacketed space around the fermentation - whether it's heating or cooling depends on how you have it set up (either heat the glycol or chill the glycol).

When you step into multi-barrel fermenters it's often not feasible to have a fermentation room for each fermenter.

As far as why the short-changing of the 1 barrel fermenters, generally speaking a multi-barrel system is more commercial in nature where anything under 1 barrel is going to be a hobbyist. I don't know any homebrewers that brew 30 gallon batches - but know a bunch that do 20 gallon batches and therefore would need a 25-27 gallon conical (.8-.9 barrel). Blichmann does make a 42 gallon conical which would be appropriate for a single barrel batch.

Makes sense. Thanks for the post.

Seems like a lot of work to import such a small fermentor. I guess my opinion is skewed because I am one of those hobbyist that brews 45 gal batches and has capacity to brew over 50. Economy of scale and getting together with other people to brew makes the hobby much more cost effective.

Does it have to be 27 gallon? I just bought a brewhemoth that is 22 gallons for a great price! Grabbed it wasn't jacketed. But I plan on insulating it with a glycol loop for Temp control.

Sorry Guys I’ve been out of the country for work for a little while! I should be back stateside next week sometime so Ill try to be better about checking this :)

In other news:

I have placed a firm order for 5 of these units with expected delivery mid may, you'll see me pop up some posts around then. I'm expecting cost to be around 2000 but we will see once customs fees and forwarder fee's settle. PM me if you interested and Ill keep you in the loop. I wont write off trades either.....

@lagavulin - if you’re interested I have some rough pre production diagrams I could send you, PM me. 0.84BBL is different I agree, though the design is based on 100 liters usable volume so if you brewed to Euro Kegs or 20 gallons (My intention) a pop it would work.

Yes they are jacketed and I feel that’s the main advantage. For a home brewer there are many DIY ways to cool and heat these to exact temperatures... Look up Aquarium Chiller/heater pumps (no the little rod ones, the ones that actually pump water in and out of the aquarium) for instance. On the other hand you could devise an old beer fridge/bucket of glycol/ submersible pump and tubing contraction.
For a commercial brewing who wants test batches its simply plug and play into existing glycol system.

After this trial run winds down I intend of going after 50 liter sizes...though they are available in pretty much any size up from there at 50-100 liter intervals. 100 liter size was the most economical for me.

If anyone wants to be in the loop shoot me a PM.

Cheers!!
Seth

Well if anyone is still looking into this I have an update. Though production finished I was not entirely happy with a few welds. They a redoing them and tweaking some small things. Have to say they look nice though. I have a picture attached. Since I am leaving the country for a few months I cant take delivery until late august early September. I need to be home to drive to the port and get them. So the beat goes on. my email is [email protected]. Its best to shoot me an email rather than something on here as i dont check this often. I will post back when i get them. Seth

photo(14).JPG

There is a group buy that is trying to get a bunch of fermenters and kettles etc. similar to stout kettles and tanks. If you want the info PM me (I am not coordinating it)

sethfdabomb said:
Well if anyone is still looking into this I have an update. Though production finished I was not entirely happy with a few welds. They a redoing them and tweaking some small things. Have to say they look nice though. I have a picture attached. Since I am leaving the country for a few months I cant take delivery until late august early September. I need to be home to drive to the port and get them. So the beat goes on. my email is [email protected]. Its best to shoot me an email rather than something on here as i dont check this often. I will post back when i get them. Seth

Are these 27 gallons?

Back