Brew Day 3/3/12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Ok, off and running here, keggle fired up, propane topped off, grains crushed, & waiting on strike water. Pics to follow.

We must have started about the same time. I am 30 minutes into the mash. I have already filled up a keg and a few bottles and I have my sparge water heating on the stove.

After the boil starts I am going to sample a new keg.

I have 20 minutes left in the boil. Belgian pale ale....

Bottled a batch of Two Hearted Ale...

Had a small leak, hopefully the only "snafu" today. It was a loose valve so i'm mashing now about 10 mins in. Was shooting for 154, got a 155.2 R.E.M playing. Going to measure my sparge salts now.

Got a pretty massive dose of gypsum on this IIPA, conferred with Martin Brungard that I was on the right track. Damn its nice to have experts on here to bounce ideas off of, I thought for sure I was way off on additions. But I got my 2 thumbs up after his advise to raise the mash water volume. Huge thanks Martin!!

30 min stir done, holding at 154.2, pulled a pH sample & waiting for it to cool. Clash Playing!

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Boil is going, so time for the first beer off of a new keg.

drinking now:

12# 2 row
1/4 black
1/4 chocolate
1/2 dark crystal

3oz cluster hops

adjunct 1/2 jar " praline ham glaze "
left over from our Christmas ham

This is really good! It is dark and creamy, hoppy and warming.
I have been looking forward to this batch brewed 1-21-12 & kegged 2-19-12.

Sparge pretty much over, just got to let it drain. Holding 168 very well. NIN playing.

Ron ar, its an old stool I got from grannys house, who would have guessed eh? After the mash is done I move it on top of my HLT, it works really well for me.

As long as I watch this level I can control the water level without looking inside the MT and letting out heat.

IMG_0204.jpg

Slightly Stupid playin, its a good music day

What I really need to do is add a sight glass to the HLT (still have to peek there), and put a "T" with a thermowell before the ball valve to get better temperatures after the water level falls below the thermometer. I'm just guessing at that point.

Patiently waiting for the MLT to finish draining, about 2 gallons left. Once I start the boil I'll be rewarding myself with some nugget nectar I picked up last night. Smash Mouth rocking :rockin:

Rocking the #'s so far. Pre boil gravity was estimated .050 and I came in at .052 A little heavy on preboil volumes, but still dialing in the system with all the changes. About 3/4 gal too much but so far 90% efficiency. OMG, UB40 playing....lol Showing the age. First runnings stopped at .009 not .010 like I was shooting for.

Oh yeah, time for one now that boil is going well. 2nd hop addition in Amarillo's Rob Zombie playin

IMG_0212.jpg

4th addition in (more amarillo) ZZ Top on.

Last 15 mins going to be hectic, 4 more additions, Irish moss, plus cycling hot wort through the chiller to sterilize. CYA later!

All done, the extra volumes gave me a efficiency hit, coulda boiled it out longer, but im happy the way it came.out. system is now dialed in, and actual losses recorded. Anyone else still going?

Nothing for me today. Ill hopefully get either a Pale Ale or Vanilla Porter going Monday. If I am feeling froggy I might break out the other fermenter and get both going :mug:

ooooo, vanilla porter sounds good. I have to do something fizzy and yellow for SHMBO next, but after that I think I may try the Banana foster thats all the rage right now. Sounds good at least.

Back